Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Wheels For Turner Disc Brakes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brakes: Need Wheels For Turner Disc Brakes

    I am in the process of doing a Turner Disc Brake Conversion on a 1953 commander ,what wheels work , and what vendors sell them , thanks just the front brakes .
    Joseph Kastellec

  • #2
    If you want to keep your original rear wheels, you might just locate Studebaker disc brake wheels for the front. They came in 4 1/2 and 5 inch width.
    If you don't mind changing all 4 wheels, Ford Crown Victoria and Ranger wheels would be a good choice, but small hubcaps would not be usable.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

    Comment


    • #3
      Your wheels are likely 5x15 and they will be OK with a 205 75 R15. or a 6.70x15 or 7.10x15. If you use your original wheels use Ford lug nuts- they are bigger beefier and safer. Have wheels spun before cleaning painting and mounting tires; I find that a lot of them are bent.

      Comment


      • #4
        Will the stock wheels fit over the hub , because all disc brake wheels have a larger center hole ,this is what I am trying to find out
        Joseph Kastellec

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm putting the Ford Ranger rims (with Ford lug nuts) on both my cars, with Turner brakes. I wouldn't use the Ford lug nuts on a Studebaker wheel. Different shoulder.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

          Comment


          • #6
            These are at Speedway. They also have a 5". http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...-BS,50650.html
            Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

            Comment


            • #7
              It's been discussed on several posts on the forum that the Ford lug nuts will work OK with Studebaker wheels, as the bevel is the same, just larger diameter. Studebaker lugs will not work with Ford wheels due to the larger lug hole in the wheels.
              Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
              I'm putting the Ford Ranger rims (with Ford lug nuts) on both my cars, with Turner brakes. I wouldn't use the Ford lug nuts on a Studebaker wheel. Different shoulder.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

              Comment


              • #8
                The stock wheels fit over the hub on the Turner kit, but will rub on the caliper. A 1/4" spacer will make them usable. The lug studs on the kits rotor are longer than the original, and should work with the spacer. I think the spacer would be fine, however to err on the side of caution I did not use my stock wheels. I elected to go with the Crown Vic wheels to eliminate concerns over the radial vs. bias wheel debate and not need a spacer.
                Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                  The stock wheels fit over the hub on the Turner kit, but will rub on the caliper. A 1/4" spacer will make them usable. The lug studs on the kits rotor are longer than the original, and should work with the spacer. I think the spacer would be fine, however to err on the side of caution I did not use my stock wheels. I elected to go with the Crown Vic wheels to eliminate concerns over the radial vs. bias wheel debate and not need a spacer.
                  Agree, much better to just get wheels that will clear. Also, with aluminum spacers the lug nuts will loosen up, every few thousand miles. So it using spacers, be sure to use steel, which is a little harder to find.
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 07-03-2017, 07:18 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Assume you are using conventional wheel covers. The simulated wire wheel covers won't properly fit rims wider than the originals.

                    Weren't the Avanti rims 5.5" width? Many years ago I bought a set of four wheels listed by Newman & Altman for the late production Canadian disc brake cars, put 'em away and forgot them. Rediscovered the wheels shortly after buying the '63 Avanti. Each wheel had an adhesive label with part#. Under each label was another label with the earlier Avanti part#. Exactly the same part, renumbered.
                    Gil Zimmerman
                    Riverside, CA

                    1955 Speedster
                    1956 Golden Hawk
                    1958 Packard Hawk
                    1958 President
                    1963 Avanti R2

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I believe that Avanti wheels were 5" and Lark type were 4 1/2". Some later Lark types got the left over Avanti wheels too.
                      Originally posted by riversidevw View Post
                      Assume you are using conventional wheel covers. The simulated wire wheel covers won't properly fit rims wider than the originals.

                      Weren't the Avanti rims 5.5" width? Many years ago I bought a set of four wheels listed by Newman & Altman for the late production Canadian disc brake cars, put 'em away and forgot them. Rediscovered the wheels shortly after buying the '63 Avanti. Each wheel had an adhesive label with part#. Under each label was another label with the earlier Avanti part#. Exactly the same part, renumbered.
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So if I use the stock Avanti wheel I would not have a problem ?? correct ??
                        Joseph Kastellec

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Call Jim Turner, he is a wealth of information on my 64 Hawk he told be the right spacer to use and even gave me part numbers. Best mod I ever did was switching to disc brakes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I see from above that I could use wheels from an LTD.... I am putting turner brakes on a 62 GT Hawk. My question is what year LTD would have the most suitable wheels. I would like to put my original (large) hub caps back on.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have a set of 4 matching rims removed from a 66 Daytona with Stude disc brakes.They are notvthe original Stude wheels. Located in Michigan. I believe they are 6" width. Will check if interested. $150.00 for set. You would have to p/u. Message me if interested.
                              Randy Atkin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X