4sp bellhousing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 4sp bellhousing

Hello, I'm trying to find info about swapping out my the 3sp in my 61 Hawk to a 4sp BW t-10 that supposedly came from a 61 or 62 stude. I guess I have to find a bellhousing for the same. The lower bolt width is 6-1/4"on 3sp and 9"+ wide on the 4sp. I'll sure appreciate any advice. Thanks, Jersey Hawk

Those bellhousings are unique for the 61 and 62 cars with T10's using the Chevy bolt pattern. Other Studebakers used what might be called a Ford bolt pattern including cars with T10's in 63 and 64.
    David L

Comment

Are you even sure it's a Stude Borg Warner? Where did you get it? I can get you dimensions on the Chevy patterned one as I have a spare. If yours is the Stude '61 / early '62 Chevy pattern it will have a longer input shaft than the GM. The pilot OD and throw out bearing sleeve may be different also. I am out east until Friday night. PM me if you want pictures and dims. If yours truly is a Stude with the Chevy pattern I may be able to help out with a bell housing but only if I have two. A "Quick-Time" bell housing is an option also. I can guide you to one of those also.

JK

Comment

Hey thanks for the reply,I don't have it yet but am looking at one on ebay stude hawk parts and craigslist for South Jersey and I wanted to do a little research before I dove into the deep end. Owner claims it is a stude with dimensions and an S tag so let me know what you think

Comment

If you don't have it yet, you may want to hold out for the later 'ford' pattern. Finding a matching bell housing could be difficult.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Jersey,

PM me with some contact info and I will call and / or email you over the holiday weekend with pictures and dims on the GM variant and some other non-stock options the upgrade from the 3-speed.

JK

Comment

Thanks JK email is powerwagon61@hotmail.com . I suspected this was'nt going to be easy but nothing worthwhile is.

Comment

You should be aware that most of the 1961-62 4 speeds are close ratio transmissions with a 2.20 to 1 first gear. You will want the wide ratio 2.54 to 1 first gear. It has a groove (or ring) going around the splines of the input shaft. Personally I would go with a T-5 transmission or a 3-speed with O/D. I have done several transmission conversions for myself and friends so I can help if you need some advice. If you like 4-speeds go for it, but you should know that the only difference between the 3-speed and the 4-speed is you'll have one more gear to shift. If you get a close ratio 4-speed you will have a slower take-off and one more gear to shift. Just my two cents.

Joe
                sigpic

1962 Daytona
                1964 Cruiser
                And a few others

Comment

I can concur with Joe. My 64 Avanti has T10 with 3.54 ra. I believe it is wide ratio. In any case, i usually skip 2nd on the upshifts as there does not seem to be any advantage to going there. It is useful on downshifts however.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Getting rid of the overdrive seems like a bad idea to me.

Maybe a 5 speed with an overdrive?

If you go with the 4 speed, you should change the rear axle ratio also or the engine will be screaming on the highway.

If your main objective is having a floor shift and ditching the column shift, you would have just as much fun (or more) putting a floor shift on your overdrive transmission and keeping the overdrive function.

Just my opinion.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Well thanks for all the advice I think for now I'm sticking with my 3sp the 4sp was a novel idea now I'm thinking the 3sp overdrive. The 3sp I have is sort of strange looking,there's the typical gearbox then something bolted on and a long tailshaft. Could I have a 3sp overdrive not hooked up ??

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
                        W The 3sp I have is sort of strange looking,there's the typical gearbox then something bolted on and a long tailshaft. Could I have a 3sp overdrive not hooked up ??
                        Yes, probably, as every Hawk 3-speed on which I've ever seen the production order came with an overdrive. There may have been some standard 3-speeds, but I've never seen one.

No, nothing's for certain with a fifty year old car.

Maybe, take some photos and it will be obvious to most here.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

OK, I'm working on posting pictures of trans but it looks like the overdrive unit except there's no solenoid or shift lever. The stamp on tailshaft is R10F 1G so whathave I got here Thanks Happy 4th to all

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
                            OK, I'm working on posting pictures of trans but it looks like the overdrive unit except there's no solenoid or shift lever. The stamp on tailshaft is R10F 1G so whathave I got here Thanks Happy 4th to all
                            The Borg Warner overdrive unit on the T86 is an R10.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                            X