fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: fuel pump

i need a fuel pump for a 1964 cruiser 289v/8 hard to locate one i found one in the KANTER catolog but it only sells one that is dual action,i do not be leave mine is dual action i'm going look up rock auto,anyone know if i need a dual action fuel pump i need one asap thanks in advance. leonard

There is another thread on this. You should need carter m2211 or airtex 4227 unless you have R1 or R2. If you need an R pump it is easiest to get it from one of the Stude vendors as it is a mopar pump that needs to have the arm bent. IIRC, dual action would be if you have vacuum wipers. Not likely on your case.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Do NOT by a replcement pos fuel pump. You can have the old on rebuilt. My mechanic does a nice job. I have sent them to Terrel Machine in DeLeon Texas; they do nice work. Also with todays horrible gas install an electric pump as a back up. Helps with vaporlock too. I've been thru at least a half a dozen replacement fuel pumps. They are a total waste of time and money.

Comment

If you install a OEM Studebaker Carter Fuel pump (with the Filter Bowl on the bottom) that has been rebuilt by a Studebaker Vendor or Then and Now Auto Parts with Ethanol resistant parts, you will have NO need for an Electric Fuel Pump.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly Rich, tired of the electric fuel pump suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
            I agree wholeheartedly Rich, tired of the electric fuel pump suggestions.
            RIGHT, they did not have them when New and do NOT need them now.
            Nothing but a Noisy, power robbing, unneeded item you can add to your list of things that could and probably WILL Fail!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

i just wanted tu say that i ordered a fuel pump tue. 6/27 17 fromstudebaker parts.com and it arived thursday 6/29/17 i told the person that i needed it by friday. i could not beleave it came so quick. when a vender takes care a customer so quick i think they should be given some recognition and give them some business from our club. enough said.way to go CHUCK AND CHRIS. LEONARD

Comment

When I bought my 51 Commander it had an electric fuel pump because the
                choke wasn't adjusted properly. I now get in the car, tap the gas peddle and
                hit the starter and away we go. The electric fuel pump is now in a box somewhere.
                Rich, I agree with you that "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Comment

They are also available at my local NAPA along with Stude vendors. I had Dave T. rebuild a number of my Carter cores for spares.
                  Rob in PA

Comment

Find a car built in the last ten years that has a carburetor. What do you think the formulation of the fuel is made for? what fuel pressure do you think most cars run today?
                    This is why our open system Studebaker are having a hard time. It is NOT the pumps Or the carburetors fault. It is the fuel. It isn't the same stuff you bought when the car was new. It isn't even the same stuff you bought ten years ago.
                    Run a return line to the tank, and insulate the heck out of anything that comes anywhere near any heat source. Use only alcohol resistant parts. Even if you buy non alcohol formulated fuel, you are not buying the same fuel as was formulated for carbureted engines. We must be willing and able to make the changes if we want to keep driving a low pressure fuel system. People that live in cooler climates can give out all the advice and say they never experience vapor lock. People in hotter zones have these problems, and it isn't because of faulty parts.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                    X