Ellis Duo Carb Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Ellis Duo Carb Setup

Would this really do much for a 1950 Studebaker Champion 6 banger (Minus look cool as hell...lol)

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1754213

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1755191

Name:	s-l1600 (3).jpg
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1755192

Name:	s-l1600 (4).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1755193

Name:	s-l1600 (5).jpg
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1755194

Name:	s-l1600 (6).jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1755195

Name:	s-l1600 (7).jpg
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1755196

Name:	s-l1600 (8).jpg
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1755197

Name:	s-l1600 (9).jpg
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1755198

Name:	s-l1600 (10).jpg
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1755199
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

The vast majority of dual carb setups that I have seen do not work properly. There is an art/science to installing, hooking up the linkage, hooking up the choke linkage that most folks do not seem to understand or apply.

Without engine modifications, like a mild cam, the dual carb setup is mostly eye candy. But it is eye candy that also comes with a price and that price is ease of operation and reliability. basically, you will most likely make your car run worse. There are folks who will disagree, but they are the folks who are really into multiple carb setups and know how to install and tune them.

You could probably accomplish more by replacing the Champion carb with one from a Commander six.

At the end of the day, since your car has an automatic transmission, it will always accelerate "leisurely."

If you want more power, replace the automatic transmission with an overdrive transmission and replace the 3.54 rear axle with a 4:55 (after the overdrive is working).
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-26-2017, 07:45 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Bmallett View Post
      Would this really do much for a 1950 Studebaker Champion 6 banger (Minus look cool as hell...lol)
      Enough so you'd feel the difference, but not enough to forget it's a tiny flathead.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Go for cool!
        American iron, real old school
        With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
        With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
        With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
        The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
        I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

That is some of the more unusual fuel line I have seen. It looks like the copper line was just crimped shut and soldered. That is also some big tubing.
          Attached Files
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I never wanted it, nor expected it to be a "hot rod". I have that covered in other toys. I was just curious if it took it from 82 horse to 88 horses...lol
            1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Comment

Saw a very nice 53 Champion Hardtop at the Hastings MN Cruse In last sat night had a 2 carb set up like this looked very cool. On a car that looked like it had just driven out of show room !
              Hawkowner

Comment

two carbs = double the mileage right....
                don't know about stude's but I ran a edmonds setup on a 235 chevy, not much performance/mileage change but looked great and I was the only one who had one...
                great coool factor.

Comment

[QUOTE=RadioRoy;1060161]

"You could probably accomplish more by replacing the Champion carb with one from a Commander six."

"At the end of the day, since your car has an automatic transmission, it will always accelerate "leisurely.""

Studebaker Automatic Drive was regarded among the best in the day. But with it, even the big Commander six was painfully slow. First car I was allowed to drive was a late '50 Commander Starlight with automatic. Car simply did not accelerate, it slowly gained momentum.

As a collectible, a late '50 Champion automatic may be fairly rare. Not overwhelming value, but still interesting- with the automatic. Personally, I've never much enjoyed stirring a three on the tree in our SoCal traffic. But maybe in Oklahoma...

Good luck with the eye candy! Just keep in mind that it's a neat little econo car. Will never stomp the most basic VW Golf.
                  Gil Zimmerman
                  Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                  1956 Golden Hawk
                  1958 Packard Hawk
                  1958 President
                  1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Originally posted by Bmallett View Post
                    I never wanted it, nor expected it to be a "hot rod". I have that covered in other toys. I was just curious if it took it from 82 horse to 88 horses...lol
                    Good to see your feet firmly planted in reality regarding this cool looking "Tinkerer's" play toy.

Back when I entertained myself (and few others) playing a guitar, I became fascinated with the sound of a "Twelve String" guitar. So I bought one. You might wonder what this has to do with multiple carburetor engines? Well...engines and stringed musical instruments have to be tuned (adjusted). Just as Radio Roy has stated, some are better at it than others.

I wish I could take credit for the following quote, but I can't. I don't recall who it was, but some musician, who like me, enjoyed a twelve string described it like thus..."YOU SPEND HALF YOUR TIME TUNING IT...THE OTHER HALF...PLAYING IT OUT OF TUNE!"

I think of that saying every time I see a twelve string guitar, or multiple carb set-ups. But, the art of tuning dual carbs, for vintage iron, seems to be a never ending chase.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X