Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"American Classic" Radials- Anyone Using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a set several years ago from Diamondback. Had trouble with the sidewalls "undulating" wavy sides. Call Diamondback about the problem. They said the tires were under-inflated. I told them I keep them @ 30psi. They said should be 36psi. I went through their litrature and nowhere did it say to keep the tires inflated @ 36 psi.
    Only warning in Lit. was underinflated tires are not covered under warranty. I guess this is how they can wiggle out of warranty issues, by not giving a specific number for inflation in writing. I wasn't happy with their answer. [V]

Comment

Actually, the one inch whitewall radial is now show correct, while the modern, thin white is not.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Harvey, sorry to hear you had a problem with the Diamondbacks. One of the reasons I bought from them was their customer service recommendations from others in the Hudson Club. It may be too late now but I would have pushed more for replacement. The rep I bought them from said if I had any problem what so ever to let them know and they would replace any tire no questions asked. Maybe they have changed their stand over the years?

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dan
          You are right I should have pushed harder. The tires only had about 3000 miles on them. They would have required me to return the tires at my expense, the car would need to sit on floor jacks for a long time, the waving was not considered a defect nor a cause for tire failure. Diamondback only considered it an appearance issue. Then I would have to pay freight back.
          I still got the feeling they wouldn't do anything. Just get a firm commitment in writing on the exact pressure you need to honor the "limited" warranty. This way if you do have a problem maybe they will do better by you.
          They probably have improved quality, I am sure you will do better than I did.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Actually, the one inch whitewall radial is now show correct, while the modern, thin white is not.
            JDP/Maryland
            What would be correct for a 63 Avanti?
            One Inch...or wider (at least it looks like more than 1" to me)
            like this GT?

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by wagone

Could be a misprint, Matt. 5.60 seems AWFULLY narrow for a 205mm, 75 series tire. I'm going to try and get a set of 195, 70s or 75s on six inch rims for my car as I now have 205, 70s and they seem too much in width for the opening of the wheel well.

wagone
              Again...may be the "70" part and not the "205" part. Low profile tires "look" squatier (if that's a word) and out of place on an older car (IMHO).

It could also be your wheels that make things look too wide. 6" wheels will work...but they will have to have the right offset (backspacing) to look "right" on the car. [Too much backspacing pushes the wheel/tire right out to the edge of the fender.]

You can probably find 195 70's, but not 195 75's. IMHO, the car will look quite "under tired" with the 195 70's due to the relatively small sidewall height. Also, a 6" wide wheel MAY be too wide for this tire.

Hey Dick,
              In the above quote don't you mean "too little backspacing pushes the wheel/tire right out to the edge of the fender." I believe the wheels now on the car have the same backspacing as the original factory. Hence, since the current wheel is two inches wider than the original the tire/wheel pushes out to the edge of the fenders as it "grows" the added two inches. And I can't see sufficient clearance with the front suspension to go with more offset and hence my desire to try a six inch wide wheel in place of the current seven incher. Thanks
              wagone

Comment

Working...
              X