Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"American Classic" Radials- Anyone Using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "American Classic" Radials- Anyone Using?

Hi All-

I didn't want to hi-jack Kerry's recent post about tires.. but this brand was mentioned.

Anyone running this tire on their cars? I am considering these from Universal Tire for my 63 GT Hawk. Universal has them at a decent price too!:
    http://www.universaltire.com/cart.ph...ategory_id=360

(Is it me, or does the tread pattern look like a BFG tire ..??)

I'm going to replace the 215R75/15s I put on some new steel wheels back in the 80's. I've had some rub with those as well(really should check the back spacing), so the narrower tire may help that.

Thanks and Best Regards!
    Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1960 Metropolitan Convertible
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1958 Cushman Eagle
    -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
    1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
    1956 Cushman Eagle

Those are good looking tires! I have a set of "Broadway Classics", 205-75-15 on the 1966 Daytona on 6" wheels. Look to be the same tire! They are great!

Brian K. Curtis,
    1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
    1949 1/2 ton pickup
    1963 GT Hawk custom
    1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

I bought the same tires for my '63 Hawk from Coker (stock wheels)...

http://store.coker.com/product.php?p...4&cat=0&page=1

I bought mine direct from Coker at the Portland Swap Meet last year. No sales tax in Oregon and no transport cost [8D].

Check your wheel width and backspacing before you mount new tires on the same wheels. I've found a 6" wide wheel with at least 3 1/4" backspacing is about the max for me. Others have had different results, however.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Brian- The Broadway Classics look real nice too! Saw that they are made by Goodyear. Did a bit of searching and they seem to be popular with the Caddy crowd too. [8D]

Hi Dick- There's that BEAUTIFUL 63 Hawk again! [] The tires look great on that car, but then EVERYTHING does!
        How did you like the performance of the tires? Ride, road noise, etc.

We had changed out the wheels a loooong time ago when I took the car in for new donuts(put on BFG's 215R75/15). I went with a wider rim from the tire store, but I don't recall what we put on(again, this had to be back in the early 80's!). I think it did space the tire out a bit more. I'll definitely be checking back spacing...

Thanks! Matt

1963 GT Hawk
        1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
        1958 Cushman Eagle
        -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
        1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
        1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Question. An eight inch (205 mm) wide tire (cross section) seems rather wide for our vehicles. This as far as rubbing on fenders, etc. goes. The description on this tire says 205 mm cross section but the tread width is listed as 5.6 inches. Isn't that rather narrow for a 205 mm cross section tire? It seems that 6.75 or 7 inches tread width would be more the norm for an eight inch cross section tire. At least for a 70 series tire. Maybe a 75 series is that much different.....?[?][?][?][?]

wagone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone

Question. An eight inch (205 mm) wide tire (cross section) seems rather wide for our vehicles. This as far as rubbing on fenders, etc. goes. The description on this tire says 205 mm cross section but the tread width is listed as 5.6 inches. Isn't that rather narrow for a 205 mm cross section tire? It seems that 6.75 or 7 inches tread width would be more the norm for an eight inch cross section tire. At least for a 70 series tire. Maybe a 75 series is that much different.....?[?][?][?][?]

wagone
            It should make NO difference for tread width if the tire is a 75 or 70 series tire. That is just the aspect ratio (sidewall height divided by cross section).

I looked at several 205 75 15 and 205 70 15 tires here...

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

Both have anywhere from 5.7" to 6.6" tread width (quite a range!)

I'm an admitted "tire snob" , but I just don't see the attraction of low aspect ratio tires on older cars....especially in the smaller (205-215) widths. They generally look "goofy" to me. IMHO, older cars need a rather tall tire to fill the fender well. Choosing a 205 70 instead of a 205 75 doesn't mean you get a wider tire...just less sidewall to fill that fender well.

Matt, those Hawk tires were (I sold the car) quite nice. Quiet and smooth. I'd buy them again.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Not sure why you would want to bother with a "classic" tire vendor on a '63 or newer? You can pick up a decent white wall radial from most any local tire store in your area. Cooper, Goodyear or many others are available at a much lower price

Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

don't worry too much about the width on a C-K, there's more room than on a Lark. I couldn't get 205s to stop rubbing on my Lark but I've had 245/60s on the front of my '55 coupe (briefly, I was testing something) with no rubbing whatsoever. this was with about 3/4" offset wheels.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

Not sure why you would want to bother with a "classic" tire vendor on a '63 or newer? You can pick up a decent white wall radial from most any local tire store in your area. Cooper, Goodyear or many others are available at a much lower price
                  ...NOT with the proper 1" whitewall (I told you I was a tire snob [:0])

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

OK Dick, then radials are not correct either!

Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dan White

OK Dick, then radials are not correct either!

Well, I'm not a PURIST snob [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
                        Like Dick, I am looking for the 1" whitewall width and wanted radials(again). These seemed fairly reasonably priced(for a specialty tire) and are USA manufactured.

Wagone- Yes that spec in width seemed narrow to me as well for a 205 tire. I am hoping to go to Universal and see the tire before I make the purchase. Sounds like Dick was happy with the sizing, so I believe they should be fine(..wonder if they meant 6.50 instead of 5.60 for width??)

Thanks again! Matt[8D]

1963 GT Hawk
                        1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                        1958 Cushman Eagle
                        -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                        1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                        1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Could be a misprint, Matt. 5.60 seems AWFULLY narrow for a 205mm, 75 series tire. I'm going to try and get a set of 195, 70s or 75s on six inch rims for my car as I now have 205, 70s and they seem too much in width for the opening of the wheel well.

wagone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by wagone

Could be a misprint, Matt. 5.60 seems AWFULLY narrow for a 205mm, 75 series tire. I'm going to try and get a set of 195, 70s or 75s on six inch rims for my car as I now have 205, 70s and they seem too much in width for the opening of the wheel well.

wagone
                            Again...may be the "70" part and not the "205" part. Low profile tires "look" squatier (if that's a word) and out of place on an older car (IMHO).

It could also be your wheels that make things look too wide. 6" wheels will work...but they will have to have the right offset (backspacing) to look "right" on the car. Too much backspacing pushes the wheel/tire right out to the edge of the fender.

You can probably find 195 70's, but not 195 75's. IMHO, the car will look quite "under tired" with the 195 70's due to the relatively small sidewall height. Also, a 6" wide wheel MAY be too wide for this tire.

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Might want to take a look at Diamondback Radials. I got some for my Hudson and they are really nice.

http://www.dbtires.com/

Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X