Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Growling Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo/Tach/Gauges: Growling Speedo

Working on my 1950 Champion...

The odometer was stuck when I got this car, the speedo was noisy, I tried lubing the cable and it didn't do anything. The lights didn't work either, so I pulled the cluster and decided to look at the odometer while it was out. When I got the back of the speedo off, I unscrewed the little nut and took it all apart. There were brass shavings inside the magnet hole. I looked at the odometer and there are a couple of flattened teeth on the main (numbered) shaft. I have hit it with a lot of PB Blast, but it still hangs and gets stuck on some areas.

Is there a way to rebuild the numeric gear shaft? If so, how? Better yet, is there somewhere to pick up a new one? I don't want my car down longer than it needs to be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1754146
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4128.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1754147
    Last edited by Bmallett; 06-12-2017, 05:24 PM. Reason: photos
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Usually repairing a Speedometer is a job best done by a Professional at a Speedometer Repair Shop, if any parts for that old of a Stewart Warner Speedometer are available they would have them or know where to get them.

I do not recall seeing any small parts in the Studebaker Parts Catalog for the internals of speedometers, they left that for the Speedometer Shops to deal with.
    Studebaker sold the complete replacement assemblies from Stewart Warner.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks Rich.

Any good leads on a repair shop?
      1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Comment

Working...
      X