pressure fitting on 66 Stude V-8 HD automatic tran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pressure fitting on 66 Stude V-8 HD automatic tran

I thought an hour would be all it would take to find, attach a guage and read out and adjust the cable on my automatic trans.
    An hour later, I gave up trying to find the fitting to remove on the left side of the trans case as pictured in the shop manual. Has anyone got an idea where this correct pressure fitting is?
    Thanks,

Brian K. Curtis,
    1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
    1949 1/2 ton pickup
    1963 GT Hawk custom
    1966 Daytona 2dr

Brian, which model of transmission are you working with ? Lou Cote [8D]

Comment

Lou, Brian's '66 Sport Sedan has the HD Flight-O-Matic trans with the cable throttle control for the Chev. V-8. All of the Studebaker engine versions always had a 3/8 pipe plug, low on the left side of the front of the case near the mounting flange, as shown in the Shop Manual, but apparently it has been re-located or something, on the new case for cable control!

It would not be the first time that the Manual used an old pic from the '64 book, and the '65-'66 case, either has no test port or it has been moved!

I am wondering if the pressure fitting to the oil cooler on the right side forward, would have the same pressure?

quote:Originally posted by dynolou2

Brian, which model of transmission are you working with ? Lou Cote [8D]
      StudeRich Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Dwain emailed me a service letter that states "The pressure port is located on the rear face of the transmission case on late 1965 and all 1966 models."
        So, I'll have to roll my creeper farther back and investigate that at first light! I'll report my findings.

Brian K. Curtis,
        1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
        1949 1/2 ton pickup
        1963 GT Hawk custom
        1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Mission accomplished! Jack car up, crawl under, attach pressure guage to fitting, start car and warm to operating temperature, pressure at hot idle, http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/2187546897_757f32b606_m.jpg[/img]
          Pressure at just under 1000 RPM, 90 psi. Road test after removing guage, and voila! Done deal.
          Thanks all!

Brian K. Curtis,
          1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
          1949 1/2 ton pickup
          1963 GT Hawk custom
          1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

So, Brian...does that mean it now shifts like it should?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes Dick, the shifts are smooth and on time. I think 2nd to high should be around 20 mph. Drove the car Saturday, the truck on Sunday

Brian K. Curtis,
              1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
              1949 1/2 ton pickup
              1963 GT Hawk custom
              1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Working...
              X