Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

64 Avanti Runs Fine, then quits, starting fluid re-start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 64 Avanti Runs Fine, then quits, starting fluid re-start?

I've had my 64 Avanti R1 5190 about six months now. Never had a fuel issue until a couple weeks ago. Driving along fine for two miles on over a half-tank of fuel, suddenly shuts down, won't re-start. Towed home, vented the gas tank by drilling holes in the cap, squirted starting fluid in the carb, started right up and kept running. Started several times and drove a couple miles yesterday. Today drove it three doors down the street, quit again. Retrieved starting fluid, again restarted instantly, kept going. My fuel pump must be working or it wouldn't keep running. Vapor lock? What could my issue be?

One possibility is something blocking the gas line inside the tank. The tank on an Avanti is like the kitchen sink. If something covers the the bottom of the tank where the fuel line exits, such as a gum wrapper, it will starve the engine. After a little while the debris will float way and everything will be OK until it plugs the line again. I have had this happen to me and the only solution is to remove the tank and have it professionally cleaned.

Comment

Also there is a rubber sleeve on the steel line as it passes through the front leaf spring hangar. They often rust there, and will draw air instead of fuel. There should be a restricted fitting for the return line. Too large a fitting will reduce your fuel pressure to almost nothing . Even if it looks like it's pumping fuel, all it is doing is recirculating. Avanti tanks are already vented. There is a hose from a nipple on the top of the tank, that loops up into the passenger side 1/4 panel to a retaining clip, then back down through the floor, and exits the car just above the frame as it starts to kick up for the rear. (as I said, on the passenger side) Sometimes an insect may plug the vent tube.
      Last edited by bezhawk; 06-02-2017, 04:04 PM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Good input guys. Thanks. Ill check it out.

Comment

I had similar problem with an old mustang. Is was the rubber sleeve collapsing when fuel was being drawn.
          64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Remove the fuel line at the carb and attach a length of rubber hose sufficient to reach under the car and blow in to it while squirting soapy water on the fuel line and look for bubbles.

Comment

The vent tube end was clogged. We'll see if that does it. Thanks again!

Comment

I checked the fuel line today as it goes through the leaf spring hanger. There is no rubber fitting present; only the steel line feeding through with a little "play". No signs of corrosion, though. The line is dirty/rough as if undercoating with dirt on top of it. Am I missing something?

Comment

Not to worry, it probably has been replaced sometime in the past.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                  X