Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW TIMING GEAR install advice needed for SPECIAL 6 , RE: piston valves , marks etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: NEW TIMING GEAR install advice needed for SPECIAL 6 , RE: piston valves , marks etc.

My Timing gear was shattered , so timing is messed up , It is gear to gear drive, so I am sure there is timing marks , BUT what about my valves / pistons What should I be aware of , ==== SHOULD I DROP THE PAN ?===== IS THE FRONT PISTON NUMBER 1 ? == I can feel a valve opening with my finger when I manually turn the cam shaft , but not sure which valve it is I should have my new gear today LUCKILY I found a timing gear New in box EGGE guys had it My car is a 1925 stu special 6 Thanks

Is it as simple as it appears to be ? WILL the key slots and timing marks automatically line everything up Let ME KNOW ,thanks Kenny Z

Comment

You asked if you should drop the oil pan. I say definitely Yes! At least, drop the pan, clean the oil pump pick up screen, the pan, and oil passages. Since you have a pre war engine, I would clean everything I could without dropping the crank shaft, or mess with rod bearings. I believe an engine that old has poured babbitt bearings. If I owned such an engine, and everything else was working OK, I wouldn't upset the assembly further unless absolutely necessary. But, that is because I just don't have enough experience with engines that old.

I have had two engines that stripped timing gears. Both were V8 engines. Both had fiber cam gears, and only one was a Studebaker. It was a 259. On that one, when I dropped the oil pan, the pickup screen for the oil pump was full of the fiber from that cam gear. On that engine, I did a full rebuild. The other engine was in a 1971 International Travelall. It had the optional (sourced from AMC) 400 cubic inch V8. Those engines use a fiber cam gear with a timing chain. On that engine, I pulled the timing cover (of course), and dropped the oil pan. Like the Studebaker, the oil pump pick up screen was full of fiber, along with the bottom of the oil pan. I cleaned the pickup screen, oil pan, and put in new oil and filter. Ran the engine a little while, changed the oil and filter again, and that was it. I kept the vehicle another year or so, and when I sold it, it was still running fine.

I hope you have such good luck as I did on that big V8. If you don't have one, find a shop manual from our vendors and follow instructions. Let us know how it works out.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thread moved to Tech Talk. Please be sure to post in the correct Forum board!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
        X