Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Power Steering Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Power Steering Pump

The lid on my power steering pump has a small hole described as a "vent" but when I put the lid on with a washer and the wing nut, the vent is blocked. Do I need the washer?

Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

Peter there should be a rubber disc, then a steel washer, then the wing nut. It vents even though the hole is covered up. My '62 GT has been functioning that way for more than 20 years.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I will get the rubber disk. Just another step towards authencity. Thank Frank!

Peter Bishop
      Director,
      Northeast Zone

Comment

Since fluid in the reservoir is constantly increasing and decreasing in volume, there needs to be some ability to vent it, otherwise it will be subject to negative and positive pressures, depending fluid level. Make sure the vent hole is clear.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
          The lid on my power steering pump has a small hole described as a "vent" but when I put the lid on with a washer and the wing nut, the vent is blocked. Do I need the washer?
          There's a raised ridge around the stud where the vent hole is. It has a break in it, like the letter "C". The trick is to get washers, (one rubber and one stainless steel), that are large enough to ride on this ridge. Thus it can vent through the break in the ridge.
          The rebuild kits may have parts for a Ford lid which vents through its fill stack. They block the vent hole and will cause fluid to be forced out.
          Mike M.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
            I will get the rubber disk. Just another step towards authencity. Thank Frank!
            If you cannot find the rubber disc let me know I probably have one that I could mail you.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Long ago, I switched to the Ford style cover on all Bendix PS pumps in Studes. With the twist cap and dip stick, it is soo much easier to check the PS fluid level. Just another one of those driver friendly mods that ain't, "correct" but I do not care

Comment

Working...
              X