Oil filter hook-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil filter hook-up

62 Champ truck 6 cyl. overhead valve. I am trying to install an oil filter a was sold steel lines according to the book are correct. I have been trying to figure out how they are supposed to be run. Does anybody have a picture or drawing for hooking up?

On the Studebaker OHV engine there are two ports on the drivers side bottom of the block, above the oil pan. the rear port is from the second main bearing oil line and it is connected the pressure side of the filter. On a canister it is the side port bottom port is for the dump. The spin on filter bottom has two ports I believe it is the center port where pressure is applied with oil flow and the other is for dump. If you look at a spin on filter there is a small restriction inside the threaded part of the filter, That would be the pressure side. I have pictures but don't know how to post here.

Comment

If it would help my e-mail is tlrickey@outlook.com

Comment

By any chance is the engine serial number 1E-26479 or higher? If it is it will accept a full flow filter.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

It is a HIGHER NUMBER

Comment

Look on the right (passenger) side, rear of the engine block for a metal plate bolted to the block with two screws. If you remove that plate and install oil filter base #1555771, gasket #1555103, two 3/8"-16 X 1 1/8" machine screws, Studebaker oil filter AC-3311 or equivalent you will have a full-flow filter system. Hopefully there will be no interference with the exhaust pipe.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

This oil filter is a screw on top right side of engine.

Comment

Yes, but Dwain's point is that 1962 truck engines after the specified engine number were built as full-flow engines, and a full-flow filter can be added as described in post #6. They mostly were originally equipped with top-mounted partial-flow filters, but they can be removed and the ports plugged.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

If you determine that it IS an earlier '62, partial flow engine without Full Flow Oil Filter adapter provisions, be sure to ignore the previous posts about where the lines connect to the Canister or spin-on filter type Base.

The INLET Pressure Hose or Line goes OUTBOARD, the Return Line is the CENTER one.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Do you have a diagram?

Comment

This could not be simpler on a OHV Six, the Filter goes on the Left side of the Head, the lines go down, to the 1/8" Pipe thread holes, Upper for Pressure, Lower for Drainback.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you I will do.

Comment

Working...
                        X