No announcement yet.

Koni Shocks may be available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back in the 60's and 70's Koni was the only high performance shocks available. Those of us who used them like the way they perform. In addition they did make shocks for Studebaker.
    David L

Comment

I'm in for a set for the Daytona...
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

OK it has been a while but I have been discussing the Studebaker shocks with Koni. Had a one hour conference call with them today. They have not been able to find the drawings for the Studebaker shocks here in the US and suspect they were lost in a fire. They do have the drawings in Holland but they are archived in a warehouse. However they have found the damping curves and other data on the shocks. I will be having more discussions next week.

At this point we are just looking at the front shocks for 57 and on and the rear shocks for 63 and on. I am looking at and discussing the 57 through 62 rear shocks. Also the earliest Avanti's through SN 1224 or 1225 used the 57 through 62 shocks. I think we will have a solution for the 57 through 62 rear shocks and this may be workable on earlier models. The biggest problem would be the 56 and earlier front shocks.

Those who did not indicate what year car they wanted the shocks for please let me know.

The shocks will be bases on their 80 series shocks. The original shocks were 82 series. The damping curves will be the same as the earlier shocks.
        David L

Comment

This is a real no-brainer but who is prepared to pay up front for 100+ sets? Would one of the big Stude suppliers work with ya?
          '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Originally posted by Bills R2 View Post
            This is a real no-brainer but who is prepared to pay up front for 100+ sets? Would one of the big Stude suppliers work with ya?
            I looked back over this thread, I didn't see anything about a minimum. I'm sure Koni will have one (and what that is, anybody's guess) but nothing was said that I could see.

Comment

We will have to see. I do have a relationship with Koni for reasons not connected with Studebakers. I do not have plans to work with one of the vendors at this point but I would not say no under the right conditions.
              David L

Comment

David wrote -
                ""The shocks will be bases on their 80 series shocks. The original shocks were 82 series. The damping curves will be the same as the earlier shocks.""

Interesting that many seem to just want "Koni" shocks. No one seem's to care (no one's asked !) about the damping action..!?

David -
                Please explain the 80 and 82 series damping for those of us that aren't up in the older shock performance.
                While I have run them on a couple of cars back in the late 60's/70's...way back, I do not recall the calibration, stock action vs. hi-performance vs. a race shock calibration.

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Mike,

The damping between the older 82 series and the newer 80 series does not need to be different. Different cars had different damping. The 80 series shocks use different materials that allows them to operate at higher pressures. This allows the use of a smaller piston but still have the same damping characteristics. The damping characteristics for the shocks will close to the same as the original Koni shocks sold for Studebaker's.

The Koni shocks are adjustable for rebound damping. More damping will increase control and improve transient response. Passenger car shocks use more rebound damping than jounce damping to provide a more comfortable ride. Road race cars will normally have shocks that are optimized in both jounce and rebound for each track.

That is my quick response.
                  David L

Comment

All of you who indicated they were interested in the Koni shock please let me know what year they are for. If it is for a 63 Avanti let me know the serial number as the rear shocks on early 63's were the same as 62 Studebakers.
                    David L

Comment

By the way I indicated that for cars 56 and earlier you could unbolt the adapter that is bolted to the lower control arm and use the newer shocks. That is not correct. The spacing is not correct. I have designed an adapter that will allow using the newer front shocks on the earlier cars.
                      David L

Comment

I have a pair of '64 sedans. I'd be looking at one set for the Daytona. I guessing they'd be the same as the '63's...
                        Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                        1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Mine are all the earlier type on the rear, with horizontal bottom pin, instead of bayonet type.

Any idea of price yet?

Thanks,
                          Joe H

Comment

I will take a full set Front & Rear for my '64 Daytona.

It looks like those on this String that want them, will all have to be PM'd as they may never see this string again.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Joe, you had mentioned that you might want 2 or 3 sets so I would like to know about the years to determine potentially how many adapters for the front I might need to build. I am nut sure about the price yet. It will depend on the number of shocks and configuration. I still do not have a solution for the older style rear shocks but hope to have one soon. I hesitate to state a price but it should be under $135 and could be as low as $110 each.
                              David L

Comment

Rich, I suspect that you are correct and will PM those that don't respond.

Also anyone else who is interested should indicate so now as this may be a one time deal.
                                David L

Comment

Working...
                                X