Pull Dash from Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pull Dash from Hawk

I am replacing the wire harness on the Power Hawk and at the same time while Im under the dash I thought I will paint the dash. That means I need to take the dash out. Is there a pocedure to removing the dash with out causing more trouble than I need.
    I remember someone doing this on a later Hawk, '61 I think, last summer. They were having trouble getting the dash loose.
    Any help from some one that has done this?
    Thanks.

John Ratliff

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...k,dash,removal

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP,Thanks again for all the help.[8D]

John Ratliff

Comment

John
        Since you are pulling the dash, take a bit of time out and before installing it, make sure you add a grounding wire from each guage and light sockets to the car's body.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

John
          Since you are pulling the dash, take a bit of time out and before installing it, make sure you add a grounding wire from each guage and light sockets to the car's body.
          Thanks, Bill. Good idea about the ground. Did it help with the brightness on your dash lights?

John Ratliff

Comment

Yes, it di brighten the lights, but more importants I did not have to hit the tach like in an old WWII movie. Before I added a grounding strap the lights would flicker in the tach.

Comment

I only have (2) further comments on Dash removal that others haven't covered.
              1) DO NOT remove/mark the wires from under the dash. It is MUCH easier to remove/mark the ones under the HOOD- most of which easily unplug. You will also need to disconnect the main harness to the rear of the car, and unplug the dimmer switch (both located at the floorboard kick-panel on driver's side). If you have an automatic, you may/will also need to unplug the back-up lights and neutral safety switch (later Hawks, cars). The Hawk turn-signal switch connector is fairly easy to figure out what goes where (all wires are color-coded)- but you may wish to mark them also.

PULL the entire harness through the firewall as you remove the dash.
              Once out- you can PHOTOGRAPH the back of the dash, and THEN start removing/marking wires.

This is 10000 times easier to do while dash is out on a workbench- and it makes re-installation a breeze. You can also clean and rewap the harness.

2) To make it easier to get the steering column out of the way- LOOSEN these 2 bolts on the mounting bracket: (see pic)-Just remember to re-tighten them AFTER the dash is back in and the steering column is bolted up.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
              Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
              Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Working...
              X