Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tires

Next-- contemplating new tires for the 55 champion sedan.205/75R15
    question-- should I go with very wide white walls or narrow ??
    http://americanclassictires.com/americanclassic.html#
    http://www.dbtires.com/pricelist_13_...ckT4_intro.htm

others ??
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Narrow would not be correct for the year.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Comment

I'm curious what our European friends use on their Studebakers. Are 205s ubiquitous or do they use a different measuring system for tires over there? Are there closer sizes to 195s (or 710s) in Europe?
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Unless you feel the need for authenticity, stay with Radials. There are wide whites available in radials, but quite spendy. It depends on your tire budget. I opted for $48 215/75R15s with narrow white walls. Triple that for wide whites.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction)95 hrs.
        '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in early Jan.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

If you do go with the radials, be sure to up-date your wheels to later interchangable ones. The originals do not have the "bead-lock" safety feature, plus there have been reports of cracking.[xx(]
          Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Are there radial out ther with a correct or semi-correct look to them?

In otherwords, a radial that has a "olde tyme" tread & sidewall look?

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Assuming from your previous post you will be changing to 6" rims. Good idea with the 205 or 215 - these are definitely not recommended for OEM Studebaker rims.

In 1955, Studebaker used what would be the wider whitewall in the links you provided. I once saw a Stude running the WIDE whitewalls from the late '30's which covered the whole sidewall of the tire. That was not an improvement on a Champion Majority of Champions were delivered with blackwalls and some owners converted to whitewalls at their option.
              As always, your car, your money, your choice.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
              PackardV8

Comment

I used wide white radials from Diamondback tires on my 61 Hawk. Bought new rims from Bob Helm in Royce city Texas.

Comment

Bob's last ad in TW for his wheels was April,2007. At that point he had only 30 left, and stated, "when they're gone...thats it."
                  IIRC, not only has X40273 been obsoleted, but I believe the comprable Chrysler wheels have been also. Their sizes ranged from 15X5.5, 15X6, 15X6.5, 15X7, and 15X8. The 15X8's were found on their pick-up's and vans in the late 70's and early 80's. Look hard, there may still be some out there. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
                  Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                  Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JBOYLE

Are there radial out ther with a correct or semi-correct look to them?

In otherwords, a radial that has a "olde tyme" tread & sidewall look?
                    I haven't found any that are truly "olde tyme". Some are better than others. I just bought some radials for my '65 Impala that are sorta kinda old school looking, but I had to really shop around.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Am I pushing my luck using a recently purchased set of Yokohama Avid 205/75SR15's on a '58 President Sedan with original (15 inch, 5 inch width) rims?

I had originally planned to use a recently purchased set of Dutch-made Vredestein Sprint Classic blackwall 185HR15 (80 series) tires on this car, I'm beginning to think these might be possibly more appropriate (sporting?) on my '56 Golden Hawk. Vredestein makes a number of quality replacement tires for older cars, mostly European, with modern technology but rather authentic period appearance. The Yokos are narrow stripe whitewall, relatively inexpensive from Tire Rack. Originally, I intended the 205's for the Hawk, even have 6 inch wheels on hand from Bob Helm, just powder coated in Sunglow Gold. (Color more or less, powder coat color is apparently an imperfect science.)

I can obviously stay with the 205's on the Hawk if there are real concerns of using them on the President with stock wheels. The stock wheels seem to be in great condition, right down to the original off-white paint. (Rest of car original all black.) At this stage in my life, neither car is intended to be a serious contender in judging, this Hawk and I did all that late 60's and early seventies.
                      Gil Zimmerman
                      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                      1956 Golden Hawk
                      1958 Packard Hawk
                      1958 President
                      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

quote:Originally posted by riversidevw

Am I pushing my luck using a recently purchased set of Yokohama Avid 205/75SR15's on a '58 President Sedan with original (15 inch, 5 inch width) rims?

IMHO, no concern at all.

Those 185 80's will look like space saver spares on any Stude [xx(]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I should have mentioned that the Vredestein Sprint Classic line includes NO whitewalls, a lot of their products are great for 50's, 60's and 70's VW, Mercedes, etc.

The July 1957 issue of Sports Car illustrated has a road test of an all-black Golden Hawk with black tires, HD springs, 3 speed OD.

My '58 President was (according to original invoice) originally delivered with blackwalls, radio delete, no power steering or brakes. Only extras were driver's door mirror and Flightomatic.
                          Gil Zimmerman
                          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                          1956 Golden Hawk
                          1958 Packard Hawk
                          1958 President
                          1963 Avanti R2

Comment

quote:Originally posted by riversidevw

I should have mentioned that the Vredestein Sprint Classic line includes NO whitewalls, a lot of their products are great for 50's, 60's and 70's VW, Mercedes, etc.

The July 1957 issue of Sports Car illustrated has a road test of an all-black Golden Hawk with black tires, HD springs, 3 speed OD.

My '58 President was (according to original invoice) originally delivered with blackwalls, radio delete, no power steering or brakes. Only extras were driver's door mirror and Flightomatic.
                            A lot of people forget, or didn't know in the first place, that many, many '50s cars were equipped with blackwalls instead of whitewalls. Small hubcaps too, not wheelcovers!

Dave Bonn
                            '54 Champion Starliner
                            Valencia, PA

Comment

Okay guys, tell me if I am thinking right-- If I mount a 205-75-15 on the 15x6 ford rim I found with 4" backspacing and mount it on the car, can't I use shims or washers to move the wheel out if needed (in effect giving me less back space) until I come to an acceptable mounting and then measure the shims put in place and subtract that from the 4" backspace the wheel actually has to come up with the actual needed wheel backspacing ? Then buy or find wheels with this new backspaced measurement.
                              64 Champ long bed V8
                              55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                              53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X