Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Alternator

Probably a dumb question but is there a modern substitute for the original Prestolite alternator on a 63 Lark Cruiser? They seem to be in the hen's tooth category.

1979 Honda Civic 1.5L 4 cyl, just about a bolt in replacement.
    Got one a couple years ago from Rock Auto ... a Remy # 14158
    Fred

Comment

Originally posted by 53starliner View Post
      1979 Honda Civic 1.5L 4 cyl, just about a bolt in replacement.
      Got one a couple years ago from Rock Auto ... a Remy # 14158
      I put one of these in my (ex) '64 Daytona-it looked and worked great! Easy install too...

Comment

It probably wouldn't work on a 65 Cruiser V-8 283? I need one.

Comment

Originally posted by abkco View Post
          It probably wouldn't work on a 65 Cruiser V-8 283? I need one.
          Any GM alternator thru about '85 should bolt right on. Try a '75 GM integral regulator unit, you can even get them in "one wire". That "one wire" just goes to the battery +. If you get the standard 3 wire one, get the 2 wire connector for it too, the 1/4" batt terminal goes to the battery+, the large wire on the connector goes to the batt + (the 1/4" batt terminal works), the small wire on the connector goes to the idiot light. I believe the wire on the "F" terminal of the regulator you no longer need goes to the light.
          sigpic

Comment

Since my studes have a Mopar reg. i have been using that alt. good results,as the pestolite alt doesnt seem to last long when rebuilt. local shop has them on hand.their old as dirt and good! mopar alt was one, also GM i was familiar with from working days. prefer "Square Back " mopar for some odd reason. Luck Doofus

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciated.
              George

Comment

yes, likewise. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
                X