• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wally
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Scott

Please, oh please, don't chop it!!
    Yes But: They would be SAVING it from the crusher![xx(]In my opinion, the Rat Rodders only feed on your pleas and cries of anguish.[:0]That said, it really could be a neat resto-rod, with a stock body and just enough mechanical upgrades to make it more roadworthy and reliable.

"You Can't Have Everything--Where Would You Put It?" ---comedian Steven Wright

Leave a comment:

• ClaymoreWW
    replied
    looks like he has an early 70's Vega project, too.

--george

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Here's an unchopped '28 Stude hot rod...

I like that "resto-rod" look, but I have to say that I think the Rockne would look good with the lid lowered a little. It would be a completely different style than the above, but still attractive. Maybe fenderless and channeled over the frame also.

Whatever you do, make a plan and a budget. There are more failed projects out there than completed ones (BTW, it looks like you purchased some body else's failed project). Don't be a statistic. Make sure you have the time, money and talent to do what you plan to do...WHATEVER that is.

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    As one who always walks a fine line on this issue, I would restore this car. If I did anything to it, I would keep the outside and the interior as original as possible and only up date the running gear. if I gave it deep thought, i would restore it. Please don't chop it as it does not deserve that fate.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• jjones
    replied
    This one is rare enough that it begs for restoration. If you feel you have to hot rod it (I'm a rodder, I know the feeling), think about vintage or reproduction speed parts on the original engine. Different, fun, and the best of both worlds. Try www.cathcartsstudebaker.com. for an idea of whats out there.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    Please, oh please, don't chop it!!

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    That body tag confirms it is a '33 Model 10 Rumble Seat Coupe.

The Dictator was a larger car. I quote from THE ANTIQUE STUDEBAKER REVIEW:

"The car that became the Rockne 65 (in 1932, Model 10 in 1933) was originally designed by Ralph Vail and Roy Cole for Willys-Overland...After the two pilot models were built and presented to the management of Willys-Overland in Toledo, Vail and Cole were informed that the company was on the verge of bankruptcy, which would necessitate dropping the project. Although Vail and Cole had been paid in advance, Willys-Overland relinquished all claim to both the design of the car and the two prototypes...Vail, while driving one of the prototypes decided to stop in South Bend and show the car to A. R. Erskine, president of Studebaker. Erskine drove the car, was quite impressed and bought the design of the car the same day...the only car built by Studebaker that was not designed by their own engineering department."

The Vail-Cole designed engine would continue after Rockne production ceased, becoming the Commander Six, used with various displacements until 1961. Thirty years of engine production speaks well of the strength of its design.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• yankeehunter
    replied
    I did not see if there was a tag on the frame, but The body tag say's 31-Q-3 749. The car has no nose but it came with a 34 ford nose (in Pieces)do you know if a 34 Dictator nose is the same?

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Looks like we found another 1933 Rockne 10 Standard Coupe!
    The Rockne Motors Corporation only existed in 1932-33 and was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Studebaker Corporation; mostly built in Detroit. Is there a serial plate on the left frame rail behind the front tire? A body plate on the cowl just under the left hood?

Of the approximately 30,000 Rocknes built in those two years, we have only been able to find less than 150 left in the world!

Larry Tholen, Treasurer of the Antique Studebaker Club, has assembled the roster of these cars. Please contact him at Ltholen@cox.net

Let us know if you plan on proceeding with the rod project or would like to return it to original. I have extra suspension and running gear parts, hood sides and a couple of door handles.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• yankeehunter
    started a topic What YEAR & Model is this Studebaker?

What YEAR & Model is this Studebaker?

Working...
X