High Output Supercharger Pulley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Output Supercharger Pulley

Has anyone used Lionel Stone's high output supercharger pulleys? I was told it would increase the boost to 9 or 10 psi, which seems a little high to me? I am looking for a little more than the stock 5 psi, maybe 7 psi. Thanks

Good question. Those pulleys are spendy, but I'll bet the end result would be a scalded dog. You might want to use forged R3-style pistons and they would be spendy also.

wagone

Comment

7 PSI is about all you'll get even with the high output pulley. BTW, you'll have belt slippage issues with smaller blower pulley.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

So it "ain't" worth it. Especially considering that in addition to forged pistons you'd need different rods(deep pockets). If I'm not mistaken (and I make no guarantees) the original R3 used the same s'charger and pulleys as the R2--but boy the rest of it was sure different.

wagone

Comment

I am not sure what the R3 boost pressure is. On this link http://www.studebaker-info.org/Rseri...pr78/twr32.jpg
          it says 6 psi at 5200 rpm, so at a higher rpm the boost would be even higher.

Comment

I have the smaller pulley on my R2 Avanti. I find it hard to watch the boost gage and the tach at the same time(G) and boost measured at the intake manifold is a little less than measured at the supercharger so who knows what it really is. I will say that it comes on quicker and I find that to be an improvement. If I didn't have the overdrive trans I would probably have stuck with the standard pulley because I see boost comes on around 3,000 RPM and that would be cruising RPM with 3.73's and the Powershift.

ErnieR

Comment

Bige, good point on the crusing RPM, I never considered that. Do you happen to have 1/4 mile times before and after the pulley swap?

Looks like I will most likely stay with the stock pulley setup based on everyones input.

Thanks All.

Comment

I don't have a before 1/4 time. The car has run a best of 15.097 on its first and only visit to the track, to date.

One other thing that prompted me to try the pulley is that my motor is not stock and I believe compression to be a little lower than a stock R2 would be. If your car has its stock heads and pistons you may find a little extra boost might cause detonation.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
                X