Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Dana 44 interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Dana 44 interchange?

Will a late 44 like from an Avanti fit a '53 Commander C/K?
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

In a few weeks, I will have a 1977 Avanti II, Dana 44, 3.07 rear end (complete with new brakes, drums, Koni shocks, and composite springs) if this would be of any use to you. PM me in Vermont. ... Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Springstreet View Post
      In a few weeks, I will have a 1977 Avanti II, Dana 44, 3.07 rear end (complete with new brakes, drums, Koni shocks, and composite springs) if this would be of any use to you. PM me in Vermont. ... Doug
      Thanks. A few years ago that Avanti rear would have been really nice to have when I was converting my Avanti to a 3.07. However, in this case I am selling an Avanti 3.54 TT and my prospective buyer wants to make sure it would work on his custom 53K.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
        Thanks. A few years ago that Avanti rear would have been really nice to have when I was converting my Avanti to a 3.07. However, in this case I am selling an Avanti 3.54 TT and my prospective buyer wants to make sure it would work on his custom 53K.
        Paul

Depending on what model 53K there is probably a difference in axle housing diameter. A quick backing plate to backing plate distance, axle housing diameter/mount width and u-joint size should give you all the info you need. Wish I could be more specific on dimensions but I think a quick comparison between your's and his would answer the question as I don't know the answers off the top of my head.

IAC it wouldn't hard to change the axle mounts/u-bolts and find a correct u-joint if the width is close.

Bob

Comment

Working...
        X