Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Rear Speaker

Hello,

I have a mannual tunning radio (no pushbuttons) on my 1961 Lark 4dr. I recently purchased a rear speaker and a fade switch for this radio.

What I would like to know is what else is needed to install the rear speaker and if there isn't anything else, how do I go about installing it.

Detailed list of what I have:

Mannual tunning radio.

Fade switch.

Rear speaker (missing pig tail connector) if one was needed.

I have gotten as far as replacing the chrome "dummy ring" on the right side knob of the radio with the chrome fade switch, but I am not sure as to where it connects.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

one item,
    "modern" auto speakers are typically 4 ohm, and 60's auto radios expected to be connected to 8 ohm speakers. Take a meter with an ohm scale, and see what you have.

In my case, I found a nice, efficient 6 inch co-axial for which I fabbed a crude board and fit to the 4 x 6 inch rear deck hole. It was 4 ohm, but I was lucky as the "tweeter" was wired in parallel. I changed this to serial, being careful about maintaining polarity, and NICE sound.

There is a theoretical risk of over-driving the final stage of the radio with a 4 ohm speaker and burning it out. Yep, and if you do, you are an idiot! Long before that, you would be driven out of car, I hope, with the distortion. Then again, given what I hear on the mean streets....

Terry, North Texas
    1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
    (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
    http://sterkel.org/avanti
    1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
    1999 Toyota rice burner
    1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
    I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
    challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
    I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

Comment

Actually they were 10 OHM Terry, but it sounds like you know more about electronics than I, so if you made it work on 8 that's good enough for me! Most speakers now say 4-8 OHM, so none of those designed for Electronic state of the art Stereo, will work for any length of time.

I do know you are are right about the 4 OHM, as I had a radio on the bench for testing and used too low an OHM speaker and blew the amplifier out in the radio, Maybe the volume was peaked, I don't know because it happened too fast, ZAP and it was over!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

A ohm meter will not measure speakers impedance, just it's DC resistance. A 8 Ohm speakers impedance will work fine in place of a 10 ohm and I use a decent quality 5x7 dual cone that'll bolt right in.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 61LaRk4dr

Hello,

I have gotten as far as replacing the chrome "dummy ring" on the right side knob of the radio with the chrome fade switch, but I am not sure as to where it connects.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
          If You do not have the harness that connects the radio,fader and front and rear speakers....You can "wire it in". The front and rear speakers should have ground side grounded. the fader has 3 wires ....Center to radio ...front to front speaker ...rear to rear speaker. Thats all there is to it.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
          Lewisville,NC
          1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
          Lewisville,NC

Comment

You are right, but...
            1. Proper measurement of a coil, e.g. speaker, should be impedance that varies by frequency. However, the "ohm" rating on a speaker refers to the DC (zero frequency) impedance.
            2. I did not mean to imply that speakers with a different ohm rating on the back of your radio or in it's install manual will not work. I am trying to point out that anything other than the exact ohm "requirement," with have less than desirable consequences, some of which I pointed out. It is really up to you, just pay attention to how it sounds, that will be a reasonable early indicator.
            3. a new point, getting a speaker from even a "classic car" source, you should not assume that they are still getting product with the proper "ohms." When you get it, the "ohms" will be on the speaker.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

A ohm meter will not measure speakers impedance, just it's DC resistance. A 8 Ohm speakers impedance will work fine in place of a 10 ohm and I use a decent quality 5x7 dual cone that'll bolt right in.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,839.60
            63 Lark 2 door
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

Terry, North Texas
            1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
            (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
            http://sterkel.org/avanti
            1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
            1999 Toyota rice burner
            1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
            I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
            challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
            I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

Comment

Working...
            X