• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mangusta1969
    replied
    Koni Shocks for old Studes

Originally posted by 64Avanti View Post
    I did meet with Koni about the shocks and I am waiting for an answer. They are looking for the original drawings right now.
    64Avanti,

That is great news! Please keep us up to date. I am in for an order of 4 Konis, if you can pull this together for anything approaching a reasonable price. Thanks for all of your efforts!!

Steve

Leave a comment:

• 64Avanti
    replied
    I did meet with Koni about the shocks and I am waiting for an answer. They are looking for the original drawings right now.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Mine (82 Series) have been on the shelf for approximately 40 years now. Some are being pressed into service this year on my Packard Clipper Wagon and '83 Avanti (possibly '59 Lark too). There should be no issues whatsoever as long as they are stored in a reasonable environment-not continuous 130 degree Arizona summers and a reasonable low humidity.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Dick LeRoux
    replied
    I just replaced my shocks last year, however looking forward would it make sense to purchase a set now for future use or just wait until I actually need them? In other words, how long would these last before installing them?

Leave a comment:

• Mangusta1969
    replied
    I will try to have an approximate price by Tuesday of next week. I have an appointment with them on Monday about something else.
    David,

Thanks for your efforts on this with the Koni people. I had no idea this was a possible approach due to the low production numbers of the Avanti. That's why I searched pretty hard several years ago and purchased a set of used Konis for my 63 Avanti. Although I am pretty happy with the performance of the 50 plus year old Konis, I am ready to upgrade with a new set of Konis if that works out.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• 64Avanti
    replied
    I will try to have an approximate price by Tuesday of next week. I have an appointment with them on Monday about something else.

Leave a comment:

• 64V-K7
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
    between $100 and $150 per shock, not including shipping. Would that be about right?
    That's what they cost in the 90's

Leave a comment:

• Mangusta1969
    replied
    Possible Purchase of Koni Adjustable Shocks to fit 63 Avanti

Originally posted by ddub View Post
    I'd buy a set if they were available. Might want to post this on the AOAI forum as well.
    I have an old set of Konis on my 63 Avanti. When I installed them several years ago, it made quite an improvement in the ride and also cured my car's tendency to dive under strong braking.

Count me in for a set of 4 new Konis to fit the front and rear of my 63 Avanti. I'm assuming the price to be between $100 and $150 per shock, not including shipping. Would that be about right?

Leave a comment:

• ddub
    replied
    If enough people are interested. I can get koni to supply shocks with the correct configuration.
    I'd buy a set if they were available. Might want to post this on the AOAI forum as well.

Leave a comment:

• JLB
    replied
    Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    As per post #2, the older Konis (82 series) are NOT gas filled, but conventional hydraulic fluid. However, they are fully adjustable so as to suit your own driving styles. and expectations.
    Seeing as the originals are so difficult to obtain, I think the Camaro/Trans/Am ones with slight modifications is the way to go.
    Bill
    I'm interested..........any idea as to what a four shock set will cost?

Leave a comment:

• Hawklover
    replied
    If enough people are interested. I can get koni to supply shocks with the correct configuration.
    I'll take all four for a '64 Avanti

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    If enough people are interested. I can get Koni to supply shocks with the correct configuration.
    I'll take two sets.

(Of course, next will be some wanting with the early lower mounting and some wanting the later.)

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• 64Avanti
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    As per post #2, the older Konis (82 series) are NOT gas filled, but conventional hydraulic fluid. However, they are fully adjustable so as to suit your own driving styles. and expectations.
    Seeing as the originals are so difficult to obtain, I think the Camaro/Trans/Am ones with slight modifications is the way to go.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Here is Nate Nagle's list of parts interchange. Scroll down to shocks and you will see a number of brands listed. You can probably just use an interchange list to find what you need. I've used th KYB's with good luck.

http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/interchange.pdf

Visit Bob's site to see the mods necessary on the Camaro shocks.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/

We need to keep thanking Bob and Nate (no longer posting here) for all the data they have assembled for us.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X