Claying glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claying glass

Jeff's R2 SuperLark had a lot of red over spray on the glass from the PO's painting under the hood. We tried buffing it off, but it was going very slow, more just polishing the over spray then removing it. We then tried the clay I'd used on the paint and the clay would drag a bit as it picked up the paint, then slid smoothly, leaving clear glass. Jeff was scratching his head trying to figure out why it worked so well, but we found yet another use for the clay.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Good to know and file away for when I need it, JP. Normally, I'd use a little reducer on glass.

Western Washington, USA

Comment

Speaking of glass, is there anybody out there who has a solution to removing scratches from car glass?

David G. Nittler
      David G. Nittler

Comment

Groit's garage sells two grades of glass polish for use with their random orbit buffer. I'll report back when I've used it.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,839.60
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

JP,
          Not that we "ever" get overspray on glass at the shop! <G> But, We use real fine steel wool along with reducer or thinner. YES, you can scratch the glass if you rub too hard, but, using it lightly you won't

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

0000 or finer; nothing less.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

you have come up with an excellent approach, used by auto detailers.
              They do not use "fresh" clay, but the stuff that is "used up" and too
              contaminated to use with the relatively soft paint. They keep this soft in air tight containers to use on their windows and chrome.

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Jeff's R2 SuperLark had a lot of red over spray on the glass from the PO's painting under the hood. We tried buffing it off, but it was going very slow, more just polishing the over spray then removing it. We then tried the clay I'd used on the paint and the clay would drag a bit as it picked up the paint, then slid smoothly, leaving clear glass. Jeff was scratching his head trying to figure out why it worked so well, but we found yet another use for the clay.

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,839.60
              63 Lark 2 door
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

Terry, North Texas
              1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
              (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
              http://sterkel.org/avanti
              1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
              1999 Toyota rice burner
              1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

New resolution.
              I will continue to respond, to the best of my ability, to any query,
              challenge or alternative view relevant to my original post.
              I will not respond to anything off (the original) topic...

Comment

You would be very surprised how well a NEW single edge razor blade works. Start at the top and single strokes down. Do not go across the glass. It does not scratch and actually removes not only overspray but road scum. Do not use on the interior of the glass as you cannot get the proper angle.

Comment

Working...
                X