Drive Train?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Train?

I have a '53 Champion 2-door sedan I'm building. It has the manual 3-speed with OD and a 4.56:1 rear. The 6 cyl was changed by a previuse owner to a 232 8. I want a nice cruiser, so I have decided to rob the trans and rear from a '56 parts car. The parts car is a Commander with a 259 Passmaster ('55?), the flightomatic, and a Dana 44 3.54:1 rear. From what I can tell the flightomatic drive should be set up with a 3.31:1 rear.

I gues the question would be does this work as a mainly highway driver?
    232 with a flightomatic and a 3.45 rear

Any ideas would be great, Thanks!

Donald Erickson
    Bemidji, MN
    1953 Champion (project)
    1956 Commander(driver)
    1956 Commander (Parts)
    http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k7...tudes_0015.jpg

Sounds like a good combo to me!
    Your non-od a/t and a 3.54 rear gear would be 'sporty', and a 3.31 would be 'economical'.
    If interstate cruising were the goal, then the 3.31 would be the choice (of the two).
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Donald Erickson

I have a '53 Champion 2-door sedan I'm building. It has the manual 3-speed with OD and a 4.56:1 rear. The 6 cyl was changed by a previuse owner to a 232 8. I want a nice cruiser, so I have decided to rob the trans and rear from a '56 parts car. The parts car is a Commander with a 259 Passmaster ('55?), the flightomatic, and a Dana 44 3.54:1 rear. From what I can tell the flightomatic drive should be set up with a 3.31:1 rear.

I gues the question would be does this work as a mainly highway driver?
    232 with a flightomatic and a 3.45 rear

Any ideas would be great, Thanks!

Donald Erickson
    Bemidji, MN
    1953 Champion (project)
    1956 Commander(driver)
    1956 Commander (Parts)
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Because of the short stroke, low torque, low HP, small C.I. etc. of the 232 engine, Studebaker geared this engine exactly as you are going to. The Detroit Gear Studebaker Automatic equipped '53-'54 Commanders had 3.54 axles standard.

It will give good performance and as mentioned, a bit higher revs. at 60-65 than a 3.31, but I think acceptable. You may not be happy with the low speed acceleration of a 3.31 with a 232 engine!

I would want to use the Commander 11 in. front and 10 in. rear brakes however.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thats Great! Got lucky with my spare parts!
        I will be sure to look into the brakes!
        Thanks Very Much!

Donald Erickson
        Bemidji, MN
        1953 Champion (project)
        1956 Commander(driver)
        1956 Commander (Parts)

Comment

Working...
        X