Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

PART 2: Edelbrock 1403 Conversion on 1963 R1 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: PART 2: Edelbrock 1403 Conversion on 1963 R1 Avanti

Hello,

This is actually Part 2 of my 1403 Edelbrock conversion experience on my 1963 R1 Avanti. Part 1 will be come later as I still need to document everything that I did.

The following are the final part numbers used in the Air Cleaner Assembly set up. The Air Cleaner base is that from a Edelbrock Air Cleaner Assembly Part Number 1221. Again, I just used the base only from that kit. Next I used the K&N Air Filter Part Number E-3740. The Air Cleaner Top is from Mr. Gasket Kit Part Number 1480. I have plenty of clearance between the hood and the top of the Air Filter Cover. The car runs amazing now. I had put the original Air Cleaner Cover back on prior to the Mr. Gasket cover, and it just wasn't getting enough air, BOY what a difference now, the car moves!!! In fact, I think the people that restored the car never had any fun with it. That was back in 2008. When I had the Ole Girl barreling down the road I opened the cabin vents and sand blasting media blew out all over inside. I think its pretty obvious that the person that sold the car to me never actually drove the car as he stated. WOW!!! What a joy to drive!!! I hope this information helps, I know people have asked how or what to do when making the Edelbrock conversion, so I wanted to make sure I passed along what worked for me. I have some great pictures and will have more details on my Facebook Page "Cedar Hills Studebaker" https://www.facebook.com/groups/559122340944750/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1753836
    Jim Kaufman
    Kearney NE

1952 2R10
    1953 Champion (sold it and still kicking myself)
    1962 GT Hawk
    1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Nice! I had the same experience with my Lark; that new Edelbrock carb is very responsive and the engine runs so smoothly at both idle and at speed. Now I need to get dual exhausts!

Comment

Yeah the Ole AFB will get a good cleaning then it will go in the living room display case.
      Jim Kaufman
      Kearney NE

1952 2R10
      1962 GT Hawk
      1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

That sounds like it worked well for you, if you like it that's good.

But I would like to know what to do if:
        You just happen to be one those that just despise the "Open", unfinished look, but more importantly than that, the FACT that with those very common Aftermarket only "Open" Air cleaners, you suck in all the water, Oil, Dirt, Dust and any other trash that happens to enter your engine compartment right squarely into your nice clean Filter element and some possibly into your Engine?

The R1 Avanti Air Cleaner may just BE the Worlds most beautiful Air Cleaner ever made, so why not find a way to make it work with an Edelbrock 4 Barrel?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich -

What...you've never heard of "different strokes...".
          People aren't/shouldn't build their cars to suit you.

Mke

Comment

I can still use the original cover for shows if I decide to. I don't see how the new air cleaner set up is going to be detrimental to the engine. The base used is the same diameter of the one that SI is selling for this conversion. Going to the open face allows it to breathe so much better and its not running so rich now. Its like a whole new car, by that I mean it accelerates better, the engine noise went way down and you can hear the exhaust noise in the rear now. It made a huge difference for me. Plus it eliminated about 5 pounds of weight, LOL. The original covers are not light.
            Jim Kaufman
            Kearney NE

1952 2R10
            1962 GT Hawk
            1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

I have, at least twice, described here (at the Forum in other Edelbrock threads) how to use the original R1 air filter top with the Edelbrock carb, for anyone interested.

Comment

Saw this at a car show some time ago Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0291.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1713232

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                  Rich -
                  What...you've never heard of "different strokes...".
                  People aren't/shouldn't build their cars to suit you.
                  Mike
                  Well Mike all I can say to that is; if an Open Element Air Cleaner was a good thing, the Engineers at, at Least ONE Auto Mfg. would have used them at some point.

It does not bother me one bit how others build their Cars, but they need to know that Aftermarket Parts are not always well Engineered.

Moroso USED to make a good "Hat" shaped Air cleaner like the R1 Stude. but I have not seen one in years, these would be equal to Factory designs for function not just Looks.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Well Mike all I can say to that is; if an Open Element Air Cleaner was a good thing, the Engineers at, at Least ONE Auto Mfg. would have used them at some point....
                    um, if memory serves, I'm positive GM did...try first gen z/28 Camaros cheers, junior
                    sigpic
                    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Okay, I am only passing along informtion, so that others who are considering something along the same lines that I have done. It might help them save some time and money? I am not telling anyone to change from originality. I ran an open face air filter for years on my '62 GT Hawk that I drove as an everyday car. It went though rain and a major blizzard back in the mid 90's here in Nebraska. Never had moment of trouble with it getting wet. It was a paper element too, so if it would have got soaked I think it would have ran like garbage due to restriction. The paper never deteriorated over the years either. The car I am working on now is a very nice Avanti, that will more than likely never see rain or a garden hose.

Again, my findings with this set up is better performance, and a reduction is noise from the from. I had a passanger and they said the same thing.
                      Jim Kaufman
                      Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                      1962 GT Hawk
                      1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

My Z/28 had an open air filter and it was factory original. According to some of my Ford engineer buddies, there would have been open air cleaners on many Ford products in the sixties and seventies. There were too many noise complaints.
                        I remember flipping the air cleaner lids upside down on many GM products, just to hear that noisy Quadrajet suck down some fuel and air.....
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                          My Z/28 had an open air filter and it was factory original. According to some of my Ford engineer buddies, there would have been open air cleaners on many Ford products in the sixties and seventies. There were too many noise complaints.
                          I remember flipping the air cleaner lids upside down on many GM products, just to hear that noisy Quadrajet suck down some fuel and air.....

LOL, I did the same thing on '84 and '86 Monte Carlo SS's. That made for a very inexpensive thrill.
                          Jim Kaufman
                          Kearney NE

1952 2R10
                          1962 GT Hawk
                          1963 R3984 Avanti R1

Comment

Working...
                          X