Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

electric wiper conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: electric wiper conversion

Just completed a conversion of vacuum to electric wipers on my 49 "R" pickup. I must say it was a simple swap, using the original linkages. The kit I purchased was the NE4953ST from WWW.newportwipers.com.
    The truck has been converted to 12v. in it's past, so that detail was not an issue. So, if you are considering this up-grade, I recommend this kit highly.Only 205 clams.

Brian K. Curtis,
    1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
    1949 1/2 ton pickup
    1963 GT Hawk custom
    1966 Daytona 2dr

Cool deal! I guess I lucked up, my '59 came with electric wipers from the factory.

Brian, I've seen pics of your '66 DAYTONA and the GT Hawk; how about showing us a pic or two of the 2R5 and the Duplex? [8D]

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Brian, How was the switch conversion handled? Did the kit come with an electric switch? if so, did it fit in the top of the dash like the original?

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      [img]
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I'll try to find some pickup pictures Matthew! Got to be here someplace.....
        Mark, the kit was complete with switch, prewired. The switch should have gone on top of the dash where the original switch went, but the PO had put an accessory switch for an interior light just below and therefore didn't leave enough room for this switch. I took out a cable from the heater control panel that wasn't going anywhere and used that hole to mount the wiper switch. Normal install would have been nice! Now I need to find a blank to stick in the top-side wiper switch hole.

Brian K. Curtis,
        1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
        1949 1/2 ton pickup
        1963 GT Hawk custom
        1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Hi I am a newbie to Studebakers and just bought a 59 lark regal pillar less coupe. Is there a conversion from vacuum to electric for them?

Comment

Anything is possible.Congratulations on a wise purchase.
            You are now infected and will spend the rest of your life addicted!
            Is your car RHD?
            What does it say on the tag on the firewall right side under the hood.
            If you are new to Studebaker , this is the magic number.
            A pillar less coupe is called a hardtop here.
            Many Yanks here to help you!

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I did the Newport wiper motor conversion on my 1950 and found it didn't fit easily as advertised. First, for the switch get the extension so that it will clear the map light switch. They should automatically supply that. Then, I found that their bracket wouldn't clear the glovebox. I had to cut it back almost to the end of the motor. I also had to move the arm on the shaft from the position it was supplied in. This wouldn't have been so annoying except that their instructions said not to adjust, just install, no changes required. They also weren't very concerned about my installation problems and didn't reply to my email. Later during operation, the lock ring popped off one of the shafts. They did supply some extras. It wasn't the seamless installation that they advertised.

Comment

I did that conversion on my '52 2R5 and it was very easy and just as they said. The switch was a problem though, as I installed on the panel with the heater controls and the space is very tight between dash and heater box. The hole on the dashboard had been welded over previously. Works well.
                John Henne
                Shelburne, NH
                Northeast Zone Coordinator

Comment

It is Far easier and a much cleaner looking Installation to just cut the Dash Support/Wiper Bracket out of a '56 to '64 "C" Cab with Electric Wipers and use a common C & K, '56 to '60 Sedan or Truck 2 Speed Wiper Motor with driver arms and be done with it, all original looking.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Haha yeah I since found that I got the shop manual with the car and it's got 2 speed electric wipers

The number under the hood/bonnet is 59V-J62053

Is that good

I love the car and want to get a dual carb intake any advice there

Oh and it's LHD

Comment

The original Poster has a 1949 R Series Truck that was the object of this discussion. So I was not talking about doing that to a '59 Lark. They usually have Electric Wipers Standard.

This is: 59V-J6

Pretty much what you already know; a 1959 Lark VIII Regal 2 Door Hardtop. J = Hardtop 6 = Regal, the only trim level of '59 Hardtops available.

The 2053rd. 59V-J6 Body welded up on the body Line, it has nothing to do with the line sequence of the actual CAR.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the details. I am loving the old girl and she is being treated to a new paint job on the weekend

Comment

Working...
                        X