Tub Bent on Rotisserie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Tub Bent on Rotisserie

This is the third car I've had on my rotisserie. I always weld the doors closed and put on the rear quarters. Tonight I noticed that the drivers side quarter had popped out away from the tub near the point on the bottom of the panel where the panel is attached to the body.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Missing screw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1753629
    I guess I was careless and left that body bolt out. I got it back together and noticed that the undercoating on the pinch weld in the rear fender well was cracked. Something moved. Before I finish this wreck and have it painted, I need to be sure the rear window will still fit. If there is someone out there that has a CK with the rear window out, could I get you to measure from the top of the pinch welds in the middle of the rear window. We'll see how much damage I've done.

Name:	Rear Window.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1753628
    The lesson here is if you flip one of these over, put on the rear quarters and put all the screws in.
    Bill

Name:	20170226_221415 s.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1753630
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Rotisseries are a great piece of equipment and we all know how to use them but as you found out, if you miss, leave out, neglect the smallest item or procedure the result can be catastrophic. I sure hope you can recover your project.

Comment

I did not think people put cars on the rotissery without their frames....?
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Welding the door(s) shut is not sufficient.
        Bracing, cross bracing, and diagonal bracing is needed.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The dimension on my 57 Golden Hawk is 16 3/16" from the edge of the metal on the top to the edge of the metal on the bottom. It looks like that is the dimension illustrated by your arrows in the picture.
          Last edited by JoeW; 02-27-2017, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
            I did not think people put cars on the rotissery without their frames....?
            About the only way to replace the hog troughs and floors is without the frame. The rotisserie makes the job 10X easier.

I agree with bracing the body well, even with a roof the K-body is pretty flexible particularly when a lot of the floor, braces and hog troughs are missing.

Bob

Comment

Learn something every day.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Mine measures 16". If this is 3/16 less than Joe's car, this would be the case where the car was right side up and lifted from the front and back and sagged. Since the body had been removed before I got this wreck, this could have happened anytime. However, the pinch weld is buckled implying it sagged after it was flipped. This would make the window opening bigger. So I don't know. Then again I never knew much anyway. The two timbers in the picture above are exactly whats needed to prevent this problem. Good idea. That's why I've always put on the rear quarters. So I'm gonna keep going. I might finish up the heavy lifting and rope a window in the opening to be sure it fits before moving on to paint. Thanks again for your help.
                Bill
                sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have the patterns for early hog troughs?

Comment

Name:	Boxes s.jpg
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1712673
                    This was a salvage operation I did years ago when I could not find anyone that sold them.
                    I bought the floor pans and brackets and used the old boxes as patterns to fabricate them.
                    As far as I know noone sells them.
                    Bill

Name:	Speedster s.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1712674
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X