No announcement yet.

Anyone have a good 169 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple things. Have you put any oil in the spark plug holes to see if the compression comes up?
    If the compression comes greatly up after a little oil on the piston tops, then a good hone and ring job might do it if the bores are still in spec.

Otherwise you may have valve problems. still repairable. Just make sure you don't have to pull that head off twice in the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
      couple things. Have you put any oil in the spark plug holes to see if the compression comes up?
      If the compression comes greatly up after a little oil on the piston tops, then a good hone and ring job might do it if the bores are still in spec.

Otherwise you may have valve problems. still repairable. Just make sure you don't have to pull that head off twice in the same day.
      Thanks for the pointers. My mechanic didn't do that. He said that because smoke came out of the carb with the air cleaner off for 15 minutes after he got it back to his shop indicated he didn't need to bother with a compression check. I have a gauge so I can do that myself here at home. When driving it home from his shop the 25 miles. The hills became a problem the more it warmed up. It struggled with the hills and then for the first time EVER I heard a rattling noise within the motor from the stress. The rattle would back off when it was not under a strain. It had always ran at 45-40 lbs on the oil gauge at 50-65mph. Now as I approached home the oil pressure was only at 25lbs it had never done that before. At idle it was at 15lbs. It use to be 25lb. The motor, the car itself has been a terrific car. We love Betty, throngs of people gather around her everywhere we go. I first thought maybe we should sell her but after adding up all the receipts from the last 10 years she has been the cheapest car to operate that I have ever owned. We have decided she deserves whatever it takes (within reason) . I would like to know if anyone knows a person qualified to rebuild her engine in the east Texas/ Dallas area?
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

He is not in east Texas but I went with Jack Vines for my Dad's flat six. Shipping of my v8 from Jack in Washington state to eastern NC only cost me $230 as LTL truck freight. That was terminal to terminal rates for our company. I expect shipping Dad's flat six will be a little less.

I only suggest using someone like Jack because I had a very bad experience with a local guy that ended up requiring me to have a second v8 built for my Hawk. Maybe you have someone in your area that will do a great job, I just didn't want to get burned a second time. Just my 2 cents.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
          He is not in east Texas but I went with Jack Vines for my Dad's flat six. Shipping of my v8 from Jack in Washington state to eastern NC only cost me $230 as LTL truck freight. That was terminal to terminal rates for our company. I expect shipping Dad's flat six will be a little less.

I only suggest using someone like Jack because I had a very bad experience with a local guy that ended up requiring me to have a second v8 built for my Hawk. Maybe you have someone in your area that will do a great job, I just didn't want to get burned a second time. Just my 2 cents.
          I've heard GREAT things of Jack Vines. That wasn't bad for shipping at all either. I was told to look up Bob Helms in Royce City TX. I was told he was excellent too. I just found out today that he had passed away several years back.
          1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Working...
          X