Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corum
    replied
    MrHemiU2, gordr, bensherb, and altair: Many thanks for the helpful comments. I reconnected to the ignition switch (after carefully checking the wiring harness for damage from the short) and now the OD is working fine. I apologize for the mistake in the second sentence of my question that I'm sure caused confusion. I meant to type kickdown switch and NOT lockdown switch, which of course does not exist!

The wiring diagrams I refer to are in the 1959-64 Shop Manual.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    bensherb, I think that diagram is correct. Kind of threw me at first that there are no "boxes" around the components to indicate what portion of the wiring is internal to them, and what is actual harness. But if the original poster simply ensures that his car is wired as above on the basis of terminal letters and/or numbers, it should work, if all components are OK. One the kickdown switch, terminals A&B are the pair closest to the mounting nut, and C&D are the farther pair. On the solenoid, the terminal numbers are stamped on the housing.

Leave a comment:

• altair
    replied
    I think you may be misreading the diagram. I don't believe your OD has a lockout switch, they were only on earlier models. I believe you are referring to the OD relay, it has 4 terminals: battery, kick down switch, ignition and solenoid. These terminals are all indicated on the unit. The ignition terminal on the relay is connected to the accessory terminal of the ignition switch, the battery terminal is connected to starter relay, the solenoid terminal is connected to the solenoid and the KD (kick down) is connected to the kick down switch. It is relatively straight forward.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Here's a diagram of mine Click image for larger version

Name:	OVERDRIVE DIAGRAM clean my 62 GT rev3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1712620

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Power to the Overdrive from the SOLENOID?

A circuit Breaker in the Ignition Circuit?

Also no Resister so it's a 6 Volt?

You have to wonder WHAT YEAR they are talking about, saying the "J" Body is like C & K with an Ammeter, and different than W, F, D and Y ?????????

Note whatever year it is, there is no "P" or "L" which would be the same as a "D" 2 Dr. Wagon or W, F, and Y if it were there.

Just WHERE does this C*** come from? It's useless for a '62 Lark.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    That diagram is valid for the six volt and early twelve volt OD setups. The '62 Lark should have a three-terminal solenoid that dispenses with the need for a relay. You should be able to find the wiring diagram for the '62 system online, It can be found in theb '59-'64 shop manual. My preference would be to source the power feed off the accessory side of the ignition switch, just so, that in the unlikely event of the solenoid jamming, it wouidn't run your battery down by drawing juice from it while parked overnight.

I don't think there is an overdrive lockout switch, as such. There is a lockout cable, which acts mechanically to move the OD shift rail in the transmission to lock out overdrive. The older six-volt units did have a lockout switch, actuated by the OD shift rail, but it was deemed to be unnecessary, and was left off after about 1955.

Leave a comment:

• MrHemi2U
    replied
    Here is the drawing I'm working fromClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0940.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1712617
    i hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• corum
    started a topic Electrical: Overdrive wiring

Overdrive wiring

I have a problem with the wiring of the overdrive kickdown switch on my 62 Lark V8. While I was driving in OD, the wire from the*lockout switch to ACC on the ignition switch disconnected from the switch, got loose, and touched bare metal of the throttle, and shorted out, causing the wire to burn up. According to the manual wiring diagram on p. 9 of the Wiring Diagrams section, this wire connects*to the ACC ignition switch with one*splice. However, the OD wiring diagram on p. 29 of the Diagnosis section*shows that*this wire connects to the battery side of the starter solenoid along with a 14 amp fuse. In my car the wire goes to the ignition.

My questions are: Does my diagnosis of the burnout short seem correct? Rather than reconnecting to the ignition switch, can I simply connect to the starter solenoid with the 14 amp fuse?

Sorry for the length of this question, but as you can see my electricity knowledge is very limited, and I do not want to monkey around with wiring that has already burned out! Thanks very much for your thoughts.
Working...
X