Curious Missing "Studebaker" Script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Curious Missing "Studebaker" Script

While I was scrubbing 40 years of accumulated filth of my Sky Hawk, I noticed that there wasn't a single "Studebaker" script to be found ANYWHERE on the car...not even holes to mount them. There also were no mounting holes for stainless wheel well openings or lower fender molding as found on Golden Hawk front fenders. They hadn't been filled, they just weren't there, only the deck had the "Sky Hawk" script. Anyone ever seen this before?...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 02-23-2017, 08:40 AM.

Maybe it started life as a Ford and morphed???????

Comment

Or someone shaved the emblems and scripts long ago to clean up the car a bit. Usually the first step in customization.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Early 56 Hawks did not have the Studebaker script on the front fenders.

Comment

4JC8Z - THAT pretty much answers it. I have seen pictures of 56 Golden Hawks with AND without, but since mine is a really early Sky Hawk, that seems to be the case. The only thing that identifies it as a Studebaker are the grille and deck lid plastic emblems...and THEY don't even have "Studebaker" on them. Now I know...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
            4JC8Z - THAT pretty much answers it. I have seen pictures of 56 Golden Hawks with AND without, but since mine is a really early Sky Hawk, that seems to be the case. The only thing that identifies it as a Studebaker are the grille and deck lid plastic emblems...and THEY don't even have "Studebaker" on them. Now I know...
            And the good looks of 50's Studebakers.

Comment

See page 12 of Frank Ambrogio's 56J Authenticity Manual. Although it was written for the 56J, it probably applies to the the Sky Hawk as well.

"EXTERIOR
              November 5, 1996 Page 12
              FENDER SCRIPT AND V-8 EMBLEM
              The "STUDEBAKER" fender script was not put on the early cars. It
              was added to the front fenders on South Bend produced cars somewhere
              after serial number 6031900 and Los Angeles (Vernon) assembled cars
              after serial number 6800355. The script was introduced with Studebaker
              Engineering Master Change Notice No. 22161 (2-3-56). The script should
              be about 11-1/8" forward of the door opening, and about 1-1/2" below the
              fender stainless moulding (photos 1, 2, 3, & 13).
              The V-8 fender emblem was placed on cars very late in the model
              run. A different part number is listed for sedans and wagons. The "most
              accepted" location is under the "STUDEBAKER" fender script. The emblem
              was introduced with Studebaker Engineering Master Change Notice No.
              22312 (4-12-56). Two different V-8 emblems were used in 1957. No Hawk
              bird emblem was used on 1956 Golden Hawks.
              Source of reference:
              1955 - 1958 Chassis Parts Catalog, page 481.
              Studebaker Engineering Master Change Notice No. 22161 (2-3-56)
              Studebaker Engineering Master Change Notice No. 22312 (4-12-56)
              Survey results."

Here's a late application on a 56J.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Late Front Fender Emblems, left.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1712605

While I was scrubbing 40 years of accumulated filth of my Sky Hawk, I noticed that there wasn't a single "Studebaker" script to be found ANYWHERE on the car...not even holes to mount them. There also were no mounting holes for stainless wheel well openings or lower fender molding as found on Golden Hawk front fenders. They hadn't been filled, they just weren't there, only the deck had the "Sky Hawk" script. Anyone ever seen this before?...
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

My '56 Parkview is much the same way. It says Commander on the front fenders and Parkview on the tailgate. However there are two very small plastic shields, front and rear, that say Studebaker in the tiniest script imaginable. It's funny how people will run up to the car and look over the rear at red lights and traffic stops looking to see what brand the car is and all they see is Commander and Parkview. They never see the Studebaker script in those little emblems. I kind of wonder if Mr. Nance was ashamed of the Studebaker name and had it removed in '56?
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Here's a Sky Hawk that I found on the web but I don't know the authenticity of the location of the Studebaker emblem.

Name:	56G-K7 Flight Hawk, right frot.jpg
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	1712606
                  Bill L.
                  1962 GT Hawk

Comment

My old baby didn't have it either, 345 DeSoto !
                    Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=56GH;1040624]Here's a Sky Hawk that I found on the web but I don't know the authenticity of the location of the Studebaker emblem.

Name:	56G-K7 Flight Hawk, right frot.jpg
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	1712606[/This one is an Export SIX Cylinder Flight Hawk, so not a great example.QUOTE]

Tony your Sky Hawk should not Have the GH Fenderwell Mouldings or Lower Door Mouldings. So nothing is missing, special or removed.

This is how Late Power Hawks and Sky Hawks looked also:
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

345 Desoto :

Had a "Flight Hawk" years ago and same thing found only the "Flight Hawk on trunk lid .

Old Fart

Comment

Didn't realize without inside information that the hardtop Hawk shown was an export six Flight Hawk. Sorry.

Just to confuse the issue further and taking a chance of being corrected again, here are shots of a two-tone blue Power Hawk with the script and a "coral" and white (?) Hawk without it.

Name:	1956 Power Hawk rear.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1712610

Name:	56B-C3.jpg
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1712611
                          Bill L.
                          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

I don't think there actually is much confusion, mostly just Early and Late year Models.

What IS a bit more confusing are Cars like this, that like My Vernon (L.A.) built '56 Power Hawk, appears to have a '57 Decklid, Emblem and Nameplate location. Dealer, or L.A. Factory?

Name:	Blue PH Lancaster2.jpg
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1712618 Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue PH Lancaster3.jpg
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	1712619 You can click these 2 or 3 Times.
                            It also has the "Studebaker" Script but no "V8" Nameplate that I have seen on some.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Sounds like you lucked-out to me. Fewer such things the better, imho.

Comment

Working...
                              X