Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rusty65
    replied
    I did a similar kind of project on my '65Daytona.You won't need a prop valve,and the master cylinder I used was from a 1976 AMC PACER.This was an in stock item at my local parts store and cost under $30.You shoudn't have to bother with the residual/check valve thing because the majority of Pacers were equipped with disc brakes anyway.(Remember,this was '76,when discs were becoming standard equipment on most cars.)The only problems I faced were having to put a tee fitting in to accomidate the stoplight switch,and the pedal travel was a little scary(low pedal).You get used to that after awhile.Not a lick of trouble with this setup so far(about a year).Hope this helps you, and good luck!

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Paul; (r1lark) don't those Chrysler line fittings face the fender? Obviously if they do, it did not stop you, just makes it awkward and non-factory looking. [:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    Rich,

They sure do! Didn't really think about it when I installed it. You are right that the original drum brake dual m/c ports point toward the engine. I did a dual m/c conversion on my '64 Commander using an AMC m/c, and they point towards the engine.

The dual m/c installed on the '63 Daytona had been bought by the previous owner and never installed, so on it went. I replaced all the brake lines anyway, so making the new lines from the m/c probably wasn't any harder, just put some nice 180 degree long radius bends in the lines with the tubing bender to point them in the right direction. Having a dual master cylinder on a disc brake car is non-factory looking anyway, so it doesn't worry me much.......

If buying a new m/c, I would get one that has ports pointing toward the engine like you noted.

Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Paul; (r1lark) don't those Chrysler line fittings face the fender? Obviously if they do, it did not stop you, just makes it awkward and non-factory looking. [:0]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Orestudeguy

This project is down the road a bit..
    1964 Commander Wagonaire (canadian car) with factory disc brakes.
    I'm thinking when I get to this car I'd like to convert it to a dual master cylinder with the factory disc brakes.
    Has anyone done this?
    Beside replacing the brake lines, and possibly adding a proportioning valve, has anyone done this type of conversion?
    If so, what m/cyl did you use? Any other cautions, advice, words of wisdom?

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk
    51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html

Leave a comment:

• Orestudeguy
    replied
    Thanks guys!

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The AMC Dual Master Cylinders with the lines toward the engine, work BUT...if you get the one for Drum Brakes you take the residual valves out of each piston/spring assy. to make it opperate just the same as the original. If it is for Disc. Brakes it should be fine, and have no residual valves!

You should already have the non-self energizing Truck Type Brakes in the the rear (11 in. finned drum with eccentric adjusters) so they will not lock up, no need for the equalizer valve.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    you shouldn't need a prop valve, just use a MC with the bore size the same as the stock single circuit one and everything will be OK. disconnect the line to the rear from the junction block on the frame rail and blank off that connection (there are plugs made for that purpose.) Connect the existing line from the MC to the rear section of the new MC, bend cut and flare the line to the rear brakes so it connects to the front section of the new MC. et voila you are done.

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Orestudeguy
    replied
    I guess I should say the car HAS factory disc brakes..

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• Orestudeguy
    started a topic Disc brake master cylinder

Disc brake master cylinder

This project is down the road a bit..
    1964 Commander Wagonaire (canadian car) with factory disc brakes.
    I'm thinking when I get to this car I'd like to convert it to a dual master cylinder with the factory disc brakes.
    Has anyone done this?
    Beside replacing the brake lines, and possibly adding a proportioning valve, has anyone done this type of conversion?
    If so, what m/cyl did you use? Any other cautions, advice, words of wisdom?

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk
Working...
X