Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jackb
    replied
    I was going to suggest the out of round drums..... very common in the old N&A days.... Surplus drums were stacked wrong and could never be turned to fix...but I think there are new NORS drums available for V8's ??

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Hawk
    replied
    Yes you can see the wear marks on backing plate,like I said the shop said they were wobbling in lathe so there warped or hubs are off.Regardless I guess its worth it to get new drums and bearings,I did'nt want to spend that right now but she's worth it because she's so cool

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by Jersey Hawk View Post
    THANKS again for replies drums would'nt turn right on lathe so the're wacked. I'm going to get new drums and bearings hopefully that will set everything right.
    Are you sure the drums are scraping on the backing plates? Maybe they were not turned down correctly, by stopping short on the inboard cut. That would cause them to bottom out on the edge of the shoes, which would also produce a scraping sound.

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Hawk
    replied
    THANKS again for replies drums would'nt turn right on lathe so the're wacked. I'm going to get new drums and bearings hopefully that will set everything right.

Leave a comment:

• karterfred88
    replied
    A number of things could be wrong to allow the drum to be too close to the backing plate or having the slightly wrong groove in the drum itself. Look at the hub and drum especially at the base of the lug studs. Try to determine if the "swaging" looks like it was done recently, also look carefully at the drum itself, it could be, that a similar generic drum was installed on the hub to minimize costs and the very tiny differences in them wasn't noted or machined to correct it. Check the hub itself to be sure it wasn't substituted as well. Check the inner bearing race edge for a stamped/cast in number to be sure it is the correct bearing. Are there any outer washers needed besides the one shown in the parts book, in other words does it take two or three washers outside of the outer bearing to adjust the bearings. I'm not sure which hubs from other cars will fit but the bearings are pretty generic with many cars using the same combination, but the hubs have different spacing of the bearings. A Ford hub will fit, with additional outer washers as used by Turner in the disc brake conversion kits.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    The OP said the problem is on both FRONT wheels. So it has nothing to do with axle taper lubed, or key installed incorrectly. I agree with post #7. The wear points will reveal whether the backing plate is bent. If worn evenly all the way around, that would indicate a spacing problem in the backing plate and/or drum. Sounds like high school shop kids may have worked on this car before. Just gonna have to go back and check everything, and assume nothing.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
    Is it rubbing the entire diameter of the backing plate flange? If not, don't rule out a bent backing plate. Did you by any chance grease the tapered part of the axle? If so, the drum may have split at the keyway kerf. Axles should never be greased, they need to be installed and torqued dry. I have seen many drums ruined by lubing the tapered part.
    Or, incorrect Axle Key installation. These always go Taper DOWN and INBOARD.

UPDATE: OPPS! His problem is only noted as a FRONT Drum issue.

Leave a comment:

• 63 R2 Hawk
    replied
    Is it rubbing the entire diameter of the backing plate flange? If not, don't rule out a bent backing plate. Did you by any chance grease the tapered part of the axle? If so, the drum may have split at the keyway kerf. Axles should never be greased, they need to be installed and torqued dry. I have seen many drums ruined by lubing the tapered part.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I hope you do not have the wrong Drums, but wrong inner bearings would do it. Also the Proper Inner Seals are required to seat the inner Bearings, so look at those also, are they THERE?

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Hawk
    replied
    Hi Nancy, thanks that's a good point but it is a thin gasket I'm investigating the inner bearing, It's a MYSTERY but so is life you gtta laugh

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Hawk
    replied
    Hi, I'm having a problem with sending you a picture I took. I could send it from my phone if I knew your email ,anyway I get your point. When looking at bearing the inner side is rolled over or radiused and I'm thinking how is that providing a stop against the spindle. previous owner had brake shoes wrong maybe inner bearing is also,the outer seems to fit as it should. Maybe I should just order new inner bearings just to check. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• az64stude
    replied
    Can you post pictures? I am thinking inner hub bearings not correct.

Leave a comment:

• christophe
    replied
    Hi Michael,
    Glad to hear the first trouble went away. As the shoes were incorrectly positioned on your car, I'd suspect this might have been also the case in some other places, especially if your problem is located on both sides. If I remember well, there is a thin paper seal between the backing plate and the steering knuckle. First, you should check that it hasn't been replaced by a thicker one.

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Hawk
    started a topic Brakes: 61 Hawk drums rubbing

61 Hawk drums rubbing

Thanks Studebaker friends, Well wrong arrangement of shoes solved the lockup problem but now I'm still hearing a rubbing noise. I pulled the drum to find that it's rubbing on the edge of the backing plate that faces the drum ??? Any insight to this matter appreciated. This is happening on both front wheels and the backing plates don't look bent. Should I just try to grind plate edge for clearance? Thanks
Working...
X