Head Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Head Removal

I'm restoring a 63 Champ with a 170. This may sound strange but I have removed every bolt I can find and the head still won't budge off the block. Here are some pics. See if you can find anything I might have missed before I start more drastic measures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	head 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1753594Click image for larger version

Name:	head 2.jpg
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1753595Click image for larger version

Name:	head 3.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1753596

Thanks,
    Todd

Years ago I tried to pull head off of a 6 cyl Chevrolet with two head bolts covered with oil.in a pocket.
    Hawkowner

Comment

It looks like you have them all. Have you tried a rubber mallet to break the bond between the gasket and head and/or block? Drive it upwards, as there are two dowel pins that keep it in alignment and prevent a side-to-side hit from loosening it.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

There is only one place I can see to hit the head from the bottom (next to the water outlet) but will try that. Also thought about driving a wedge between head and block but don't want to damage either surface.

Comment

On mine I had to use a claw hammer with wood shims to protect the surface and just applied steady pressure until I could hear the gasket start to separate. Mine did not have alignment pins.

Comment

Must have been some hard wood as that was my first attempt but the shims just shattered.

Comment

If you loosely put one of the head bolts in with about 1/4 in from the head of the bolt to the top to the head, then put one of the rocker bolts in to use kind of like a nail to pry on you should be able to pull it loose. Use the head bolt as a fulcrum and pry up on the "nail". Do this at each end and you should be able to work it up. Once the bond is broken it should come off.
              Rob

Comment

Too bad its already out of the frame. Easiest way to remove a head, remove all head bolts, rocker arms and push rods. Leave spark plugs in place. Rotate crank a few times causing compression to lift head off block. You may be able to rig up the starter, put the plugs back in and crank it over once or twice-that will pop it off.

Comment

I've never had luck with compression lifting a head loose. I worked on a Model A years ago where someone used shellac on both sides of the head gasket. I used a chain and winch, and had the whole front of the car off the ground, and it still wouldn't come loose. I finally had to used sharp thin knives and hammer them into the middle of the gasket between the top and bottom metal layers. I've had to use this method a few times. Start at one end and work towards the other end of the head. I've heard of guys using wood wedges, but I can't imagine them being strong enough without breaking while tapping them in.

Comment

Stick a wooden handle in the intake or exhaust port and wiggle it around. Move from front to rear. You do that a few times and they usually pop loose. Count your head bolts and make sure you have pulled all of them.
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

When you do get the head pulled, can you post a picture of the head gasket? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X