Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Champion larger intake valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Champion larger intake valves?

A potential customer is asking about what can be done to muscle up the Champion. He remembers a Volkswagen intake valve had been used at some time in the past. Anyone have any recollections/recommendations.

FWIW, there isn't a lot of space between the intake and a hard exhaust seat, so I'm not seeing great gains there.

jack vines
    PackardV8

A bit of chamber releaving to create a nice big fuel passage...

Mike

Comment

Anyone try a turbocharger?

While my Champion 85 H.P. is no powerhouse, I'm not racing it, but just going for a nice ride, and it does that fine.

Comment

How about a MILD grind on the cam? Most folks tend to go overboard, but a mild grind should help.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

When there is no more room for gains, turn the valve stems down a bit.

Comment

Jack, I did a 55K six of a friends back in the 60's. I found my notes on what I did. I used a 1/8" over sized intake valve of 1 15/32". Ran a 70 degree piloted reamer down to make a 1.260" ID pocket. I cut the valve to 30 degrees. Used a Morgan H-1000 cam with 256 degrees duration and .378" lift. Also relived the block 5/32". Used a Morgan intake manifold and 2 Zenith ZOX9 carbs. Most of the hard parts I got from Morgan, so he probably had them made for his stock. Never asked as to what they were made for.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              Anyone try a turbocharger?

While my Champion 85 H.P. is no powerhouse, I'm not racing it, but just going for a nice ride, and it does that fine.
              Yes. A few on here. Most recent is Pop's Chariot. Also was it Sals54 had one going? Then there was the guy a few years back working on one in his 2R I believe. Good luck on the Search feature. Seems the Champion internals are tough enough, at least for a while.
              Cathcart gave up the effort, but people seemed to like his product. If he's still around, someone needs to get all his data from him.
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Cathcart gave up the effort, but people seemed to like his product. If he's still around, someone needs to get all his data from him.
                I don't know Bill Cathcart; having had one conversation with him. Several years back, a CASO called me about building a higher-performance Champion. At that time, BC was the only source of new aluminum heads, so I called him about getting one. Turns out, Cathcart had just spent way too much time on the phone with said CASO, so he recognized the details of the build RFQ and was less than patient. "I've spent fifty years learning how to do Champions right, gathering the parts and these guys want me to take the time to walk them through every step of it for free and then go buy most of the parts from someone else and build it in their garage!"

Could be, he'd now feel free to be more forthcoming about parts and procedures, but it would take a good friend to go there.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

idk if this will help, but i bookmarked it when i got the '51.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Cathcart/bc.html
                  Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                  X