Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6hk71400
    replied
    I have available out of the truck an automatic transmission with bell housing and torque converter. It is a 62 model and part of the Kelly Marion estate that I am help sell. It is in Tucson AZ

Bob Miles

Leave a comment:

• Ron McGuire
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Sorry, there would be nowhere to put the Doors with a wraparound Rear Glass!
    I don't see one fitting between the Driver Door and the Rear Glass!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62349[/ATTACH] How about a Luxury, Long Wheelbase small Limo, Commander Land Cruiser:[ATTACH=CONFIG]62350[/ATTACH] Enough room to have a Party in back, Plus suicide Doors!
    That sounds awesome! I like the limo and
    doors idea.
    Wow now that's a car!!! 😀

Leave a comment:

• Ron McGuire
    replied

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62349[/ATTACH] How about a Luxury, Long Wheelbase small Limo, Commander Land Cruiser:[ATTACH=CONFIG]62350[/ATTACH] Enough room to have a Party in back, Plus suicide Doors!
    That sounds awesome! I like the limo and suicide doors idea.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron McGuire View Post
    What years did they offer that option?
    I think Rich already answered this. 1955-64.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied

Click image for larger version

Name:	51 Starlight1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1712621 How about a Luxury, Long Wheelbase small Limo, Commander Land Cruiser:Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Land Cruiser Black1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1712622 Enough room to have a Party in back, Plus suicide Doors!

Leave a comment:

• Ron McGuire
    replied
    The V8 Engines have many options for Transmissions since MOST Driver, later model Stude Cars have them, 6 Cyl. Engines have no Automatic options for Trucks.

Detroit Gear 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive Transmissions were in '56 Trucks and maybe a few '55's, but what you want is a Short Tail '56 or '57 Car Trans. or a '57 to '64 Stude. Truck Borg Warner 3 speed Flight-O-Matic Trans. but the latter are VERY rare.

Ron, if you don't HAVE a Truck yet, could you make it easy and just buy a Stude. Car with Automatic? There are hundreds of those around.
    One of my favorite studes is a 52 commander 4 door sedan. Did they make a starlite in a 4 door?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The V8 Engines have many options for Transmissions since MOST Driver, later model Stude Cars have them, 6 Cyl. Engines have no Automatic options for Trucks.

Detroit Gear 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive Transmissions were in '56 Trucks and maybe a few '55's, but what you want is a Short Tail '56 or '57 Car Trans. or a '57 to '64 Stude. Truck Borg Warner 3 speed Flight-O-Matic Trans. but the latter are VERY rare.

Ron, if you don't HAVE a Truck yet, could you make it easy and just buy a Stude. Car with Automatic? There are hundreds of those around.

Leave a comment:

• Ron McGuire
    replied
    Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
    Myer's sells this one, not sure but it might just be for V8 Studes
    http://www.myersstudebaker.com/chevy_adapter_kit.htm
    I looked at that site the only one i saw was for v8s. I am just starting this project, and wanting to save time and money.

Leave a comment:

• Ron McGuire
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Automatics were only available in trucks with V8 engines (1/2 and 3/4 ton only).
    What years did they offer that option?

Leave a comment:

• 1954khardtop
    replied
    Could an automatic from a 6 cylinder car be made to work in a truck? Or would that open up a can of worms with drive shaft lengths and mounts?

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Automatics were only available in trucks with V8 engines (1/2 and 3/4 ton only).

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    FWIW, the Borg-Warner 3-speed automatic was an option for Studebaker pickups. Few were so equipped, but they do exist. All I've personally seen were V8s. Who's seen a Champion or Commander engined pickup with the automatic transmission?

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• Ron McGuire
    replied
    At this time I do not have the pickup. I was curious about this dilemma so that I can purchase the correct pickup for my needs. Didn't want to invest in a truck I couldn't do anything with. Thank you for the much needed info.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    I6, V8...what do you have ?

Studebaker, Cadillac, Buick, etc. engine, what do you have ?

Mike

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Originally posted by Ron McGuire View Post
    Can you bolt a newer automatic transmission to an older style engine in a Studebaker pick up? Or is there some kind of clutch adapter so I don't have to use my left foot. I'm wanting to do this due to my disability.
    Welcome, Ron,

The experts here will need more info. All Stude engines are older style, just some older than others. Provide the year and model and transmission your truck has at present. The Champion, Commander and V8 engines all present different and unique challenges to fitting an automatic, but all have successfully been done.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

Working...
X