Newer to older? Accessible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Newer to older? Accessible

Can you bolt a newer automatic transmission to an older style engine in a Studebaker pick up? Or is there some kind of clutch adapter so I don't have to use my left foot. I'm wanting to do this due to my disability.

Myer's sells this one, not sure but it might just be for V8 Studes
    http://www.myersstudebaker.com/chevy_adapter_kit.htm

Comment

Here's a site that sells hand controls for the clutch, there's probably other companies out there.

http://handicaphandcontrols.com/guid...-controls.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ron McGuire View Post
        Can you bolt a newer automatic transmission to an older style engine in a Studebaker pick up? Or is there some kind of clutch adapter so I don't have to use my left foot. I'm wanting to do this due to my disability.
        Welcome, Ron,

The experts here will need more info. All Stude engines are older style, just some older than others. Provide the year and model and transmission your truck has at present. The Champion, Commander and V8 engines all present different and unique challenges to fitting an automatic, but all have successfully been done.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I6, V8...what do you have ?

Studebaker, Cadillac, Buick, etc. engine, what do you have ?

Mike

Comment

At this time I do not have the pickup. I was curious about this dilemma so that I can purchase the correct pickup for my needs. Didn't want to invest in a truck I couldn't do anything with. Thank you for the much needed info.

Comment

FWIW, the Borg-Warner 3-speed automatic was an option for Studebaker pickups. Few were so equipped, but they do exist. All I've personally seen were V8s. Who's seen a Champion or Commander engined pickup with the automatic transmission?

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Automatics were only available in trucks with V8 engines (1/2 and 3/4 ton only).
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Could an automatic from a 6 cylinder car be made to work in a truck? Or would that open up a can of worms with drive shaft lengths and mounts?
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    Automatics were only available in trucks with V8 engines (1/2 and 3/4 ton only).
                    What years did they offer that option?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                      Myer's sells this one, not sure but it might just be for V8 Studes
                      http://www.myersstudebaker.com/chevy_adapter_kit.htm
                      I looked at that site the only one i saw was for v8s. I am just starting this project, and wanting to save time and money.

Comment

The V8 Engines have many options for Transmissions since MOST Driver, later model Stude Cars have them, 6 Cyl. Engines have no Automatic options for Trucks.

Detroit Gear 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive Transmissions were in '56 Trucks and maybe a few '55's, but what you want is a Short Tail '56 or '57 Car Trans. or a '57 to '64 Stude. Truck Borg Warner 3 speed Flight-O-Matic Trans. but the latter are VERY rare.

Ron, if you don't HAVE a Truck yet, could you make it easy and just buy a Stude. Car with Automatic? There are hundreds of those around.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          The V8 Engines have many options for Transmissions since MOST Driver, later model Stude Cars have them, 6 Cyl. Engines have no Automatic options for Trucks.

Detroit Gear 3 Band Studebaker Automatic Drive Transmissions were in '56 Trucks and maybe a few '55's, but what you want is a Short Tail '56 or '57 Car Trans. or a '57 to '64 Stude. Truck Borg Warner 3 speed Flight-O-Matic Trans. but the latter are VERY rare.

Ron, if you don't HAVE a Truck yet, could you make it easy and just buy a Stude. Car with Automatic? There are hundreds of those around.
                          One of my favorite studes is a 52 commander 4 door sedan. Did they make a starlite in a 4 door?

Comment

Sorry, there would be nowhere to put the Doors with a wraparound Rear Glass!
                            I don't see one fitting between the Driver Door and the Rear Glass!

Click image for larger version

Name:	51 Starlight1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1712621 How about a Luxury, Long Wheelbase small Limo, Commander Land Cruiser:Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Land Cruiser Black1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1712622 Enough room to have a Party in back, Plus suicide Doors!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Ron McGuire View Post
                              What years did they offer that option?
                              I think Rich already answered this. 1955-64.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X