Battery dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Battery dead

It's been in my Sky Hawk since before I got it nearly nine years ago, so it owes me nothing. What's the group and the best supplier? I don't use it in very cold weather, so I don't need anything super-duty, just a replacement. Also, as I have AAA to bring and install a new one, will I pay more for that, or should I just jumpstart it and drive to the nearest Sears or Pep Boys?
    peter lee

Group 24 battery...NOT 24F (Ford reversed post).

Comment

My philosophy is, buy the largest battery that will safely fit the battery tray & hold down-make sure it isn't too tall so it doesn't short out on the hood. I have not had very good luck with Sears batteries recently, the two I bought for my diesel truck started leaking after less than 2 years and the Sears batteries they replaced only lasted 3 years before failing. I buy my batteries from a local Bimart discount store for $67USD on sale. No-quibble guarantee. The last BiMart battery I bought for my Hawk has survived over 7 years now and seems to be going strong.

Comment

Check Walmart. The batteries seem to hold up and if you need a replacement on a Sunday or an evening, they are open.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The battery in my '62 Champ pickup was purchased from WalMart in Sept. 2007. It's still going strong.

Comment

When we leave for the winter for FL, I hook up a solar powered trickle charger to the battery in my Sky Hawk...which BTW is a Group 27, side post battery. I also have 3 other batteries I do this to. They do a GREAT job on keeping the batteries from sulfating up, and extending the useful life of them. Batteries crank the engines right up in the spring, when we return for the summer...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
              When we leave for the winter for FL, I hook up a solar powered trickle charger to the battery in my Sky Hawk...which BTW is a Group 27, side post battery. I also have 3 other batteries I do this to. They do a GREAT job on keeping the batteries from sulfating up, and extending the useful life of them. Batteries crank the engines right up in the spring, when we return for the summer...
              I use a dual post (top/side post) battery in my Hawk. The side posts are used to supply power to the MSD 6AL and timing computer. Makes for a tidy installation. The side posts can be used for other non-original power requirements.

Comment

As mentioned above, Walmart. They have a value series for under $50. I've been running one in my Kubota 900 and so far/so good. In my daily drivers, I run more expensive stuff but as you mentioned price, Walmart Value Line.

Bob

Comment

When I worked at the junk yard in the 90's I was in charge of charging and checking the batteries for resale.
                  The one that held up the best was the Sears Diehard.
                  Maybe things have changed in 20 years?

My last three 12 volt batteries have all been found on Craigslist, and they were about $25 each and all less than a year old, with one being only a month old and never installed.

Comment

Your car takes a Group 24 or 24C, not 24F.
                    I recommend the top line at Walmart.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've had good luck with the NAPA Legend batteries. I had one last 10 years in my 62 Hawk and the one that's in there now is 4 years old and still tests like a new one. Bud

Comment

Tractor Supply also sells Group 24 batteries...

Comment

Wal-Mart

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                          Check Walmart. The batteries seem to hold up and if you need a replacement on a Sunday or an evening, they are open.
                          I've seen quite a few negative reviews of their batteries.
                          peter lee

Comment

Sky Hawk

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                            Did you know that there are only 66 of these registered in the country as of about six years ago? I'd love to see a picture of yours.
                            peter lee

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post

Maybe things have changed in 20 years?
                              Perhaps Sears has decided to save the company by selling new Diehard batteries for all remaining Studebakers!

To qualify...All we have to do is find the app and download it.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X