Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Help finding vin number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Help finding vin number

I have a 1956 E7 pickup truck. Any other vin/numbers location besides the inside, above step of drivers door? Does this vehicle have a full vin? I need to have a vin verification done for title. I appreciate the help! Thank you.

No VIN back then, just serial numbers.

Comment

The Serial number Plate on the Seat riser is the ONLY identification other than the Engine Number, which was used in Calif., NY and some other States up to 1954 only for identifying the Vehicle.

The Engine Numbers are not the same Series of Numbers/Letters, so the only way to tie one to a Serial number would be having a Production Order available from the Studebaker National Museum.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

They will take the serial number as the VIN but it may take some time. First I got flack because the title had "1" but the serial number used "I". I successfully argued that Studebaker using "I" for "1" was far more likely than my stealing the same model of a 60-year-old-car whose serial number was exactly the same as my title except for the letter I. Next the computer complained about not enough digits in the VIN. I suggested using "0" for the other digits but the clerk was convinced that would not work. Finally he found a supervisor who told him that in fact 0 was the way to go. It even printed correctly on the new title. I got everything done but it took some time and patience. Good luck and congrats on the cool truck!

Comment

The serial number (VIN in today's terminology) will be in the format of E7xxxxx. The engine number will be the form of xExxxxx. As Rich said, some states used the engine number for registration in those days, and that number might have continued to be used in other states.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
            They will take the serial number as the VIN but it may take some time. First I got flack because the title had "1" but the serial number used "I". I successfully argued that Studebaker using "I" for "1" was far more likely than my stealing the same model of a 60-year-old-car whose serial number was exactly the same as my title except for the letter I. Next the computer complained about not enough digits in the VIN. I suggested using "0" for the other digits but the clerk was convinced that would not work. Finally he found a supervisor who told him that in fact 0 was the way to go. It even printed correctly on the new title. I got everything done but it took some time and patience. Good luck and congrats on the cool truck!
            Just something that may help anyone "fighting" DMV regarding numbers vs. roman numerals or letters see the attached from the archives.
            True VIN numbers as recognized today date back only to 1981 when a 17 digit number was required in order to identify required smog and safety equipment. Before that every manufacturer did what they wanted to identify a car within the "serial number" system they used. As you would expect, most DMV employees don't know that, and have a hard time accepting that our current system hasn't existed as long as most vintage cars.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
              Just something that may help anyone "fighting" DMV regarding numbers vs. roman numerals or letters see the attached from the archives.
              True VIN numbers as recognized today date back only to 1981 when a 17 digit number was required in order to identify required smog and safety equipment. Before that every manufacturer did what they wanted to identify a car within the "serial number" system they used. As you would expect, most DMV employees don't know that, and have a hard time accepting that our current system hasn't existed as long as most vintage cars.

Comment

Working...
              X