Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Weatherstrip orientation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Weatherstrip orientation

My truck (49 2R16A)was stored in a barn in the high desert for decades, which explains the lack of rust. The other side of that coin is that there is virtually no rubber left on doors ets.

I bought a complete rubber kit from Valerie Hansen. Have a few questions.

Kit is marked very well for what goes where. But i don't know the orientation and have almost none of the old weather strip to compare.

My question:

Looking at the pics below, can you tell me the correct orientation for each.
    First is the cowl seal (between cowl and hood).
    Second is the door weatherstrip.
    Third is the sill weatherstrip.

I also need two of the little clips shown in the last photo to hold the brake master cyl access cover in place.

Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lynn; 02-20-2017, 08:04 AM.

What year truck ??

Comment

49 C cab 2R16A
      Attached Files

Comment

My 53' C-cab came with a different cowl seal. I can't speak to the cylinder cap clips, but they are easily made by screws, other modified clips etc.... I can say that my truck (baked from the desert), arrived with a few inches of door seals attached for correct install. Seal #2 is to be fixed to the door with the long, uncurved edge glued with the the short edge "lipped" down looking from the side like an upside down "L". In a better description: don't glue two edges for install against the door. #3 is to be glued to the door bottom edge, with the flat edge to door and the fat section facing towards the floor, fixed by several flat clips (integral & screwed). These sections were still on my truck for correct install. Somewhere on the web there are incorrect installation instructions. These seals were installed differently than, say, later Larks which always were installed, on the body, to create a "valley" to wash the water away and down to the door edges...

Comment

I probably have the clips. Won't be able to look for them till Saturday.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Jack. I am certain the flat side of the cowl weather strip goes down. Just don't know if the little flap goes to the front or to the back. Also, don't know that it would matter much.

Comment

The correct orientation of the Weatherstrips is shown on Pg. 81 of the S. I. Catalog.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The correct orientation of the Weatherstrips is shown on Pg. 81 of the S. I. Catalog.
                For all but the cowl seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  I probably have the clips. Won't be able to look for them till Saturday.
                  I found two extra clips if you still need them.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes I can Skip.

PM sent.

Comment

I too would like to know how to orient the cowl seal. Could someone post a picture?

Comment

Well Norm, guess I could install with the lip forward and you could install with the lip to the rear. At least one of us would have it right!

Comment

OP has a truck. pg. 81 shows car applications/placements...see #4.....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                            OP has a truck. pg. 81 shows car applications/placements...see #4.....
                            Yes the question is about a C cab truck cowl seal. Did you mean to reference the #5 car trunk seal figure on page 81 of the SI catalog?

Comment

I'm still at a loss on your cowl seal. It is "very" different from the seal I got from SI. I think one of us has the wrong one.... And, maybe lucky me, I've yet to install mine ! In any event, on your cowl seal, thinking geometrics.... the hood, when closing must come down and forward as it closes. I would then think, with supple rubber, that you would want the lower edge of the seal facing forward..... Something tells me you have a Champ seal ??? I need to check the book. Someone has your seal and they can simply tell you what vehicle it is in...

Comment

Working...
                              X