Celeron? Are You Kidding Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novotext

Well I am certainly learning a lot from this thread. It's not made from wood products and I was spelling the name wrong. Thanks guys!
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I'm guessing my spare gear, cracked at a bolt hole, was precipitated by an engine failure - (Motor has been rebuilt) - and not the other way around. An initial gear failure would certainly show signs of partial or complete disintegration, no?

in any case, thanks for allaying (some) of my fears.
      1950 Champion
      1962 MGA

Comment

Oh and, shop manual spells it "cel e ron". Curious.
        1950 Champion
        1962 MGA

Comment

When they go bad, it is usually the gear teeth. To remove one, a puller uses those bolt holes, they can crack upon removal........ When in doubt, toss them out.

Comment

a cracked gear that had been removed.
            When they go bad, it is usually the gear teeth. To remove one, a puller uses those bolt holes, they can crack upon removal........
            Can't count those gears the puller simply would not remove. The inner metal ring somehow bonds to the cam. Now, on first try, I run longer puller bolts all the way through and use a washer and nut behind. Sometimes that helps, but as often as not, despite best efforts, the gear must be destroyed to remove it.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Can you drill holes in the metal hub and split it? I have done that on Chevvy inline 6 cyl engines. The timing gear is pressed on and cam has to be removed to do that, an old motor manual showed splitting hub as a shortcut. Chevvy inlines were a nitemare to work on.

Comment

"Celeron" Timing Gear

I have a 1962 289 (disassembled) engine sitting in my shed. i posted this last year sometime and due to the fact it has no main caps, everyone said the block is worthless. Anyway, I took a look at the timing gear and it is marked "Celoron" which is different from "Celeron" I don't know if I should list some of these parts on eBay.
                Attached Files

Comment

If you were closer, we always can find extra main caps from cracked blocks; since we line hone all our builds anyway, it's a way to salvage what can't otherwise be used.

jack vinesn
                  PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                  X