No announcement yet.

T10 trans swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, for all who think I am dumb as a rock..........I admit it, I am. What I really need is a local contact who has a 4spd Hawk I can look at to get my bearings.

I looked at the flywheel again and now realize I that all the ring gears that are sold separately must be for torque converters!

I am still puzzled at the difference in the snout of the 4spd starter. Is there a difference between 3spd and 4spd flywheels? If the ring gears are part of the flywheel and the flywheels are the same then when everything is put together all the other dimensions should be the same.

I measured the input shafts on my T-86 and T-10 and they are the same although the retaining hub whose flange fits in the hole at the back of the bell housing says T-85. Do I have a bunch of mismatched parts that cannot work together?

Help!

Comment

Forgot to mention. The bellhousing I have that is supposed to be for a 4spd bolts up to the T-10 just fine but does that necessarily mean that it is correct?

Comment

I didnt know that it was 1 starter for 3speed and another for 4speed.
        My 4speed GT I had before, did not either.
        It worked fine with any manual starter I give it.
        Is it different part nr for 4speed and 3speed starters?

Lennart...
        -63 Avanti R1
        -61 Champ 6E5 122"
        -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112"
        -58 Golden Hawk
        Lennart...
        -63 Avanti R1
        -61 Champ 6E5 122\"
        -57 Transtar 3E5/7 112\"
        -58 Golden Hawk

Comment

No, just two style noses, AT and stick shift.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,839.60
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

No, just two style noses, AT and stick shift.
            actually- (3).. The 4-speed Starter is an autolite/prestolite... the 3/sp is a Delco. I don't know why the 4-speed nose is a bit longer...but it definately is.
            http://ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/Starters/StarterID.htm

Yes, 3/sp starters will work just fine.. for awhile.... I guess it depends on how often you start it, under what conditions, and the condition of your engine.

Flywheel is the same... there were (2) 4/sp Bellhousings, ONE is the same as the 3/sp.

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
            Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com
            Specializing in Studebaker Restoration

Comment

Thanks to all for the info/advice. I have the T-10 that works with the 3spd bellhousing. Have found most of the bits for the clutch linkage in the attic. Now I can't seem to find my 3spd starter.........

Ray, should I send you one of those tube mailer things for the shifter hole template? If so, need your address, please. However we do it, I am still happy to pay postage and for your gas and time.

Thanks,
              Lew

Comment

Ray, as far as I know, there are only the two noses on the late starters, manual and AT. You are correct about the Delco, but most of the 4 speeds were one one the two Prestolites numbers. (4 styles if you include the R series starters)

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,839.60
                63 Lark 2 door
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The bearing retainer *is* a T-85 part. that is, they are interchangeable between a T-85 and T-10 (the T-10 was based on the earlier T-85.) As long as it is a *Studebaker* bearing retainer, not a Ford or Chevy part (it is unique to Studebaker) you don't have a problem. Since you say the input shaft is the same as a 3-speed it sounds like you are good to go. for a reality check just slide a throwout bearing on there and make sure it fits properly.

good luck,

ante

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nate and Ray and whoever else who'd like to chime in,
                    Checking out the pivot bracket I got for the T-10 awhile back, it looks modified to me. Looking at the drawing in the chassis parts book, the flat plate that the actual pivot is embedded in has been shortened. I'd like to attach some photos but need help. When I click on the image icon it inserts (img)(img).

Lew

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jcstude
                      I'd like to attach some photos but need help. When I click on the image icon it inserts (img)(img).
                      Lew,

You need to save your image(s) to Photobucket (free signup). Once you have done that, open the image to full size, right click with your mouse, go to properties and copy the URL. Now click on the icon above that looks like a mountain and place your cursor between the two (img) brackets and past it there. Use the preview button to see if it is there. Also, there is a "sticky" showing you how on the main page.

Decimal Dude (and handicapped around computers)

Comment

Guido,

Thanks for the guidance. I will try it when I get home (don't tell the boss I'm on line........).

Lew

Comment

This is a bit off subject, but I wanted to let folks know it is possible to mate a T10(chevy bolt pattern) to a truck V8 bell-housing. You need a machinist friend who is patient and experienced. The project is a '62 Champ.

Comment

All, just adding to this thread after a long dry spell. Had to fix cooling and brake problems first. Have all new brakes now, including lines. Still chasing the cooling issue.

Regarding the flywheel, the ring gear is an interference fit and if the teeth are nicked, you can have the gear removed and 'flipped' to place the 'good' side of the teeth in position to engage the Bendix drive. My machine shop charged $40 to do this.

Regarding the speedo cable, since T-10s are not unique to Studebakers it would seem that a cable from brand-x could be modified by a competant speedo shop to work in a Stude. Anyone got a lead on that? OBTW, I hear someone out there is making a GPS interface to electric speedos so you don't have to have a cable at all. Stewart Warner makes an electric speedo that looks alot like the one used in 56-61 Hawks.

Comment

Stewart-Warner speedometers and Borg-Warner transmissions are the most generic parts in the automotive world. Any speedometer shop can make a cable to length in just a few minutes for a few dollars.

Alternately, a few greasy hours in a U-pick yard with a tape measure is sure to turn up an older application which will fit.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                              PackardV8

Comment

Lew,

I don't have a Tremec in my car, I WISHED I did!! It's just a plain old T-10. You must be thinking of someone else. Good luck on your conversion. It will be nice when you get it completod.

Dan Miller
                                Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                                Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Working...
                                X