Alternator bracket swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Alternator bracket swap

I have a 170 OHV with what looks to be a factory alternator on it. The genny on my Champ has gone out and I would like to swap it with a newer-type alternator conversion kit. Problem is, I need a bracket that will work with it. Will the bracket on the 170 work on the 245?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Studebaker alternator on Commander six engine

Comment

Yeah, I can see that in the engine pics. However, is that off a 170 OHV six? I have this available on a '63 and need to know if it will work with the larger, '60 vintage engine?

By the by, love the old truck!

Ron Smith

Comment

Went to Fawn Lodge today and forgot to get the bracket off the '63 sedan. Will have to look into it tomorrow or Tuesday. Would have liked a bit of guidance on this.

Ron Smith

Comment

An OHV 6 Bracket will interchange with an V8, But it probably won't with a Comm 6, without at least a little 'tweeking' .

Comment

Do please define "tweaking," if you please. I was going to try putting it on as soon as it stops pouring outside. The two brackets look to bolt on very similarly. But then, I have found that looks can be very deceiving. As in various waterpump housings that look the same and aren't even close! That said, I found it interesting that the bracket attaches between the block and the engine to frame mount. surprised me.

Yes, I'm ignorant. I admit to it... I own it! That's why I bother people around here with all my (likely to them) dumb questions!
            I am most definitely not a gear head!
            Ron Smith

Comment

Sorry clunk, I have never done 'this' swap. One thing I do know, is check belt size, check how much of what, you need to clear things, and does it fit, what mods to make. . For starters, bolt the bracket in place. Now loosely bolt the new Alternator in place.

(you did say 63 sedan? an alternator? )

Stretch the belt out there and see if it lines up. Now, note if the pulley groove will accept the belt. Now, if you are 'in' the ball park, you have to consider electrics. Your old voltage regulator, and how it is wired up.... You can't just wire a 1963 to a 1960, the regulator is just not the same, and the wire routing is also different because an alternator is not the same thing as a generator.. You won't know how it fits until until you try, but then the electrics will be an issue. these trucks with this engine are kind of rare. In this case. I would fix what you have, and maybe modify it later.
              Last edited by (S); 02-17-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I'm the type of, "if it works, why fix it," too. However, in this case, the genny isn't working and the regulator isn't either. So, since Alternators are generally more reliable than Gennys anyway, might as well do the swap now whilst everything is apart. Then again... I do have a genny on my '56 wagon that might work...

The main thing that attracted me to this truck is that it's exactly what my Father wanted in 1960. Well, except the bed, dear old Dad wanted the step-side. He waxed poetic on how reliable, strong and superior the big-six was in the Studebaker and how great one of these trucks would be. Mum, on the otherhand wouldn't have anything to do with those lousy Stude-clunkers! Dad ended up with a V8 Chevy fleetside that he didn't really want or like. He was proud of his new truck, but still... I suppose that's why he insisted on Gram's wagon when the old lady passed the next year. But there I go nattering along again...
                Ron Smith

Comment

Okay, just for information's sake:
                  The bracket from the '63 169 has its bolt-holes on the opposite diagonal from the '60 245, so no they aren't compatible.
                  Will put the Alternator and bracket back on the 169 and wait for the new bracket and alternator from Certified Auto Electric. It means another two weeks of down time for my truck though.
                  I also sat down with myself and had a good talking'to about sensible vs original. So I am going to go with the swap because keeping and rebuilding the Genny will cost another two hundred dollars. For me, that's just too much money for a basically inferior arrangement anyway. I will box up the genny and all accouterments in case a future owner wants to go back to it.

So, in the final analysis the answer to my first question is, no the two brackets won't swap out. Not without drilling new holes in the '63's bracket, which I am unwilling to do. I suppose that's the 'tweaking' someone else mentioned. I'm just not good at getting something like that lined up right.
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Google your generator # and find a kit for about $10. Take yours apart and replace the bushing, bearing, then emory down the armature both thick & thin. Undercut the brush end of the armature with a utility knife (grooves) with shaft end taped heavily. Put it back together with a few drops of oil in the cups, or grease/lube.... and away you go for less than $20. and a few hours tops !!! I'll bet there's a You Tube for it...

Comment

Thanks Jack! You're right, there are a set of videos on the 'tube for just this. Both jobs.

Ron Smith

Comment

The forum structure will only allow one video per post. So here's the first one.
                        Here's a video for the Generator rebuild:

Ron Smith

Comment

And here's the second on conversion from a Genny to an Alternator:

<span style="font-family:comic sans ms;"><font size="3">
                          Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X