No announcement yet.

R2 Avanti wont start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would place my bets on a sheared drive pin in the distributor. The distributor gear has a "shear-pin" that can and does break occasionally (I've seen it 3 times).

Remove the distributor cap and grab the rotor (I like to use a shop rag) have someone turn the motor over with the starter. Don't grab it too hard or hold onto it and rip the skin off your fingers or anything... But, you should be able to stop it from turning IF the pin has sheared off.

Ray

Specializing in Studebaker Restoration
    Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

I would place my bets on a sheared drive pin in the distributor.
      If it started and ran for 30 seconds...probably not a sheared drive pin.

What the heck are "flange gaskets"?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm with JDP and Dick. If it started and ran, sounds like they were fuel fouled. Pull the plugs, hose 'em down with carb cleaner and let them dry (and I mean dry, don't get anxious) and try again. Check for spark with the plug itself not with a screwdriver in the end of the plug wire. Champions do foul easy and clear hard. I am kinda partial to Bosch (Supers, not the expensive platinums - those foul even easier) or Autolite but Champions should work well if they're clean - they're factory specified

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

you can pull it up top dead center compression stroke and check to see where the rotor is pointing it should be just past #1 postion on distributor. double check you firing order too. and if you are getting spark you may want to invest in the spark tester i refered to earlier. it adjust to show you just how much spark output you have. you could have spark and because of adjustment of points or bad cap and rotor or bad wires it could be weak and not putting out enough voltage to run and jump spark consitantly..

Erin Hays
          "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
          RZRECTD
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Lark
          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks for all your input......will keep you updated. Going to check compression on the cylinders....pull plugs and let it air out as i'm sure it is flooded. Really strange, we had the car running like a top after a complete tune up, started after fixing exuast leak and then all of this. The car has been sitting for a long time....only 6k miles put on since the mid-late 70's. Flange gaskets are the gaskets between the manifold and exaust system. There are three of them, two on passenger side and one on drivers side. The car had a pretty good exaust leak at the flanges.

Comment

How about it ran for thirty seconds and that was all the gas that was in the carb bowl?

See if you can start it again with a external gas squirt to prime.

Lark Parker
              If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice.
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by Studeman

I would place my bets on a sheared drive pin in the distributor.
                If it started and ran for 30 seconds...probably not a sheared drive pin.
                Actually, one of the engines that sheared the distributor pin WAS just idleing and then it quit- it sounded like I just turned the key off. Took about 15 minutes to figure out that the timing was way off. Friction would still move the rotor, and it would spit and backfire occasionally. Another 15 to figure out it was the shear-pin in the distributor. It is not a common occurance...so you always check everything else first.

Larry indicates there's plenty of spark - and fuel... I don't see all 8 plugs fouling at the same time. Flooding yes... but not fouling to the point that he's not even getting backfires etc..

All that leaves is compression and timing... Timing is just the one I'd check first... as long as he's messing with the Dist cap off... It's an easy check.

Ray

Ray

www.raylinrestoration.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Lark Parker

How about it ran for thirty seconds and that was all the gas that was in the carb bowl?

See if you can start it again with a external gas squirt to prime.
                  L.P. has a good point if the car hasnt run much in a long time it could have clogged a fuel filter quickly. make sure it is passing fuel.

Erin Hays
                  RZRECTD
                  1961 Hawk
                  1962 Lark
                  1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Yeah, I disconnected the line to the carb and its passing plenty of gas. Thanks

63 Avanti R2

Comment

quote:Originally posted by larry r bunton
                      ...and its passing plenty of gas.
                      [)]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by larry r bunton

Yeah, I disconnected the line to the carb and its passing plenty of gas. Thanks
                        I would put the line back on and see if you actually get gas in the carb. If the car has been sitting it is possible that the innards are gummed up. You can try some compressed air and see if you get anything through the jets.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

passing gas though the fuel line is only part of the battle its getting to the carb is it getting in the carb ( stuck float). do the squirters squirt?

Erin Hays
                          RZRECTD
                          1961 Hawk
                          1962 Lark
                          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Well, if the problem were a lack of fuel, you wouldn't expect to see wet, fouled plugs.

My vote is for the engine having lost compression or timing, due either to the pin in the distributor like Ray said, or else to having shed some teeth off the cam gear.

A compression test is a good stsarting point.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Also need to make sure you check coil voltage with key on and during cranking. cranking voltage comes from the starter solenoid.
                              could even run a jumper straight from the battery to get a full 12 volts to eliminate that possiblity.

Erin Hays
                              RZRECTD
                              1961 Hawk
                              1962 Lark
                              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Did you try fresh spark plugs yet ? I only repeat my comment because I had more then one car with fuel fouled plugs refuse to start. The more you crank it, and pump the gas, the worse it gets, even washing the oil off the cylinder walls.

JDP/Maryland
                                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                                spent to date $54664,75
                                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                                spent to date $62,839.60
                                63 Lark 2 door
                                51 Commander
                                39 Coupe express
                                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...