Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Offenhauser dual carb setup for the flathead six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I see what you are saying. Not a good setup. The more I think of it the more I think I'll fashion my own setup.
    Graham Gagné
    Nova Scotia
    kg.works Studebaker Parts
    www.kgworks.ca/studeparts

Comment

I think I see what you are saying. Not a good setup. The more I think of it the more I think I'll fashion my own setup.
      Graham Gagné
      Nova Scotia

Comment

Actually it all began with the 170 85 hp Champion six not being able to take steep or long hills without slowing down. It has a 3 spd w/OD but I didn't want to drop it into OD and have the engine roaring. So I opted to swap the 170 for a 185. At the same time I warmed the engine with a Isky cam, larger intake valves, a '59 170 head which I shaved and cc's (combustion chambers look like the high compression aluminum units), relieved the block around the valves, installed hardened valve seats, installed an electronic dist (from Dave T) and a flex-a-lite fan. I have broken in the engine with the original intake & exhaust setup. All works fine and hills are no longer a problem. Now it is time to give the engine the fuel and air flow to take advantage of the improvements. Here's a couple of shots.
        Attached Files
        Graham Gagné
        Nova Scotia

Comment

Damn, I wish I knew how to do a percentage of that!
          Thank you,
          Darryl Dodd LMT, Neural Reset Practitioner
          Essential Transformations LLC
          www.essentialtransformations.com

Comment

Originally posted by ETLMT View Post
            Damn, I wish I knew how to do a percentage of that!
            It's just shop time and money. Even if he knows where to buy the parts, no way the typical home shop guy is going to be able to install larger intake valves, hard exhaust seats, mill the head, relieve the block and the rest. Yes, some can, but that's what ETLMT is saying; easy to read about, difficult to do at home.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

How boring, Jeffery. You sound just like an engineer.

Let the boys play with their toys.
              Life is too short.

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
              I understand your dilemma, but...why?

If you get it perfect, what's the result? Another 10 HP? Will your 0-60 time come down from 18 seconds to 17?

Your money, your choice, of course. But an original engine, running right.....
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                How boring, Jeffery. You sound just like an engineer.

Okay. I'll take that as a compliment.

Comment

I tried this last year on my 57 scotsman.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEHsljCA4o
                  I later did set up a better linkage using wires between each carb and the main throttle arm. With the provided linkage; tuning each carb was too difficult.
                  I kept this on for a week.
                  Adjusting each carb to idle at a really low rpm was also difficult; I couldnt get them low enough.

Comment

Originally posted by dmackenzie View Post
                    I tried this last year on my 57 scotsman.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxEHsljCA4o
                    I later did set up a better linkage using wires between each carb and the main throttle arm. With the provided linkage; tuning each carb was too difficult. I kept this on for a week. Adjusting each carb to idle at a really low rpm was also difficult; I couldnt get them low enough.
                    Were the carbs rebuilt with new throttle shaft bushings? Used carbs can admit too much unmetered air around worn throttle shaft bores.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by kg.works View Post
                      Actually it all began with the 170 85 hp Champion six not being able to take steep or long hills without slowing down. It has a 3 spd w/OD but I didn't want to drop it into OD and have the engine roaring. So I opted to swap the 170 for a 185. At the same time I warmed the engine with a Isky cam, larger intake valves, a '59 170 head which I shaved and cc's (combustion chambers look like the high compression aluminum units), relieved the block around the valves, installed hardened valve seats, installed an electronic dist (from Dave T) and a flex-a-lite fan. I have broken in the engine with the original intake & exhaust setup. All works fine and hills are no longer a problem. Now it is time to give the engine the fuel and air flow to take advantage of the improvements. Here's a couple of shots.
                      Where'd you get the split exhaust manifold? Or did someone build that for you?

Comment

Whatever became of your project?
                        1952 Studebaker Champion Starliner
                        1953 Studebaker Champion Starliner
                        1965 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible
                        1967 Mercedes 250SL

Comment

Working...
                        X