No announcement yet.

Muffler preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had Smithy's on my R2 Lark and loved that sound. I am going with Brockman MellowTones on my 63. Heard them on a few street rods and really liked the sound. Have not fired my Lark yet, so I hope they sound as good on it as they did on others. Running a 2.25" system front to back.

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
      Don Simmons (Silvertone) can make the "H" pipe, but doesn't want to. He did make one for Greg Cone for one of his Avantis. There isn't anything magic about the "H" pipe. I'm sure suppliers just don't want to be bothered by setting up to make just one and they probably don't have the specs for one. I have one "H" pipe that could be used as a pattern.
      Well they won't admit they can-probably due to shipping, making the downpipes awkward and prone to damage, I will ask again. I think they "smooth" the sound-not a big deal, but I have to replace my rusting away Mickey Mouse muffler store system in there now anyway, and a rust proof stainless system will keep rust stains off my driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
        Not really, a quiet system still has sound, my Dad's Avanti, being a NY state delivered car required the optional quiet exhaust and it sounded nice. Peaking of the quiet exhaust for the Avanti, does anyone know of an exhaust system provider that has the ability to duplicate the original "H" pipes? Parks and Silvertone can't.

Any competent muffler shop should be able to fabricate a two piece connector pipe to duplicate the original "H" pipe. Such would have to be done after the basic system has been installed on the car. Slightly expensive but well worth it for the desired result..

Comment

Sound preference is so subjective I don't see how anyones advice can help, at least not without sounds files. They aren't perfect but are FAR better than words, imho. Best of luck!

Comment

I have a 62 lark with a 259 v8 and I need some recommendations on an exhaust, because it's still hase the factory exhaust, but I am looking for more of a rumble. Would regular glass packs be my best option?

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              Great to know that Smithys still exist. I loved them on my '53 Dodge hemi many years ago.
              I'll 4th the Smithy's !! Gottum on the Saturday Night Special. I likum.

Comment

Working...
              X