Muffler preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Muffler preference

I'm going to replace the exhaust on a 59 hardtop. Nothing sounds better than the rumble from my 64 Hawk but I don't know what kind of muffler is on it. Any recommendations on what sounds as good as stock or better ?

Got the same problem on my '64. Coolest exhaust note EVER but nobody has been able to ID the cans for me. You really can't go wrong with a"turbo" muffler for sound.
    '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

I have turbo mufflers from Fleet- Farm stores, don't remember brand, on my '61 Hawk. Quiet in the car and a little rumble when standing behind the car. -Jim

Comment

I've said it before, I love my classic chambered exhaust mufflers. I have a sound clip on YouTube if you search my channel name, studebricker. Good luck!
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Beautiful car Lloyd.

Comment

I've always liked plain old glass packs, I have a porter on my model A but haven't started it yet.

Comment

I have glass packs on both my 62 GT and 63 Avanti. The sound from the exhaust reminds me of the 60's when we all ran either glass pack or steel pack mufflers. The sound from the new Flow Master or Magna Flow mufflers just doesn't sound right on an old V8 Studebaker. Bud

Comment

A N Y T H I N G...but Flow Masters and copies of.

Magna Flow "Turbo" (two body lengths) mufflers sound good, Spin Tech sounds good. Pretty quiet at low rpm, and pickup a nice sound as the rpm increases.

Mike

Comment

Wow....I thought after everyone always asking what kind of mufflers were on my Champ (Chambered 2x2 Flowmasters) and my 37 C.E. (Dual Flowmasters) that I had the right sound--- Oh well everyone has their preferences, the biggest problem I have always had on a My champ P/U was the fact that the gas tank robbed all the room from the drivers side, everything always went on the right side,(exhaust pipes, hangers etc.) and then mufflers had to make a quick appearance behind the rear end. I am OK with this due to the fact that I'm not riding on top of that "Gas Bomb" inside the cab, like Chevy and Ford offered during that time--- Studebaker, way ahead of the rest!
                  Last edited by StudebakerGene; 01-05-2017, 06:05 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've got these Jones glasspacks on my Champ 259 from Summit. My local guy built a dual exhaust, but I supplied the mufflers. Nice low rumble, and you can't beat the price.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...2s-5/overview/
                    Mike Davis
                    Regional Manager, North Carolina
                    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I run dual Porter mufflers on my '65 Cruiser. Maybe I am reliving my youth but I love the sound they put out. If you go to their website they have videos that allow you to hear what they sound like. They are steel packs glass packs.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I have the 2-1/4" Flowmaster 40 duals on my 59 Lark Hardtop. I absolutely LOVE the sound. It sounds WAY more badass than it is, especially at idle. I have had LOTS of great comments on how "healthy" the engine sounds. I have always loved the "different" sound of Studebaker V8's, but I have NEVER liked the sound of glasspacks on ANY vehicle. I do not feel is has a drone at highway speeds. I know it sounds great on the road with all the windows down and rolling in traffic!

Mufflers are like opinions. And we ALL know what opinions are like. Everybody has one and many of them sound bad and some smell bad..........
                        Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                        1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Same for my Coupe Express Bilt4ME, those 40's have a distinct sound, My engine is a 96 LT1 and when idling, the truck actually sounds a little docile. When you start getting into the powerband, it's definitely on and loud. I love flowmasters for cars and trucks and Thunderheaders for my Bikes
                          Last edited by StudebakerGene; 01-05-2017, 10:17 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

When our Avanti's stock "glass packs" were all but gone, I put two Walker brand glass packs on it. They sounded so "right" !!!! On our Sunbeam Tiger, I used the Dyna-Max side pipes which had a chambered tube inside and they sounded beautiful too (They were a copy of the old Thrush brand). Sound is certainly an opinion thing, and I too don't like the Flowmasters and the knock-offs of them. I'll be putting some kind of new ones on the 55 soon, as I'm afraid the ones on it are a bit too quiet, and everyone knows ... "loud pipes saves lives", ha ! In my experience with other oldies, the turbo mufflers that were a replacement for the original Corvair turbo mufflers had a great sound. Don't remember brands or know if they are still available tho'.

Comment

While everyone's preference and car seems to be different my experience is that the Flowmasters D-R-O-N-E horribly in the "normal" RPM driving range most people have the car at when actually being driven. So, what can sound cool idling into the Cars & Coffee lot can also be horrendous driving to get there.

On a side note has anyone considered the cam overlap contributing to droning? I have an Edelbrock street cam on a Mopar 318 that has 58 degrees overlap. I've gone from a 3" single through a Flowmaster 50, to a 2-1/4" standard performance muffler and while the drone diminished (maybe 30%) it still isn't gone enough to be tolerable.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X