Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander226
    replied
    One thing I want to point out here - is that since the brake line comes from the master to the wheel on the left first, it is much more difficult to prevent twisting of the flexible hose from there to the left wheel. I connected the flex hose to the brass splitter block first, than ran it through the backing plate and tightened it to the cylinder before attaching the cylinder to the backing plate. Then there is the opportunity to tighten one or the other some more so the cylinder fits without too much twist of the hose. The right side is simpler because the brake line attaches directly to the flex hose, and you can get the twist out very easily.

Leave a comment:

• pastormatt
    replied
    That was so helpful! Thank you so much!!! I also hope this post helps others in years to come! Thank you again sir!

Leave a comment:

• fh4ever
    replied
    hi pastor matt, I replaced mine ('39), bending and going the same route as the original. bends are very very close to original and I have no reason to believe the lines were ever replaced before me.
    master cylinder: one line goes to rear and the other thru the frame to the front. Not sure how they kept the metal line off of the frame, but I put a piece of rubber hose over the line to keep the line from rubbing thru.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_064123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1716679 Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_064019.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1716680
    then to the front and here is where it splits

Name:	20171005_063922.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1716681Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_063928.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1716682
    then across the crossmember..here I removed the line and made the new one more than a decade ago, and I remember it is hard to remove and install without bending...(All the other lines I did last year). so it is not perfect but it follows the original routing. It is supposed to lay close to the crossmember..its the silverish line, the other line is the fuel line...even harder to run with car assembled.

Name:	20171005_063823.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1716683
    then to the right side :tweaked just a bit from getting it fished thru but same path as original.

Name:	20171005_063841.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1716684That red clip is not the original, its a Ford part, the stude clip broke. That line was difficult to get in and is supposed to lay flatter on the crossmember.. hope this is the same as a '38.
    If you need the rear, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• pastormatt
    replied
    Necessity is the mother of invention. I have created my own design, but still looking forward to the right way :-)

Leave a comment:

• pastormatt
    replied
    Hi guys! I’m trying to hook up front break lines on my 38 Commander. There are no diagrams available anywhere… I’m assuming I run one line from the master cylinder since there’s only two to the front and I do a Y connector between the front two brakes into the one line is that correct? I am also looking for a good place to run the brake lines so they don’t get messed up… Any pictures of front brake lines to master cylinder would be very much appreciated !!

Leave a comment:

• fh4ever
    replied
    thanks commander 226...I already have the rear end all sorted out. After a good clean up, I found that hole, the old grease in the hole came out like a toothpick. It struck me the hole was on top but i guess with grease in the hole, there is no way water can seep in.

Leave a comment:

• Commander226
    replied
    On my 39 Commander there are little air holes at the top of the axle housing just inside the backing plate. Grease comes out there before it pushes through the seal.

Leave a comment:

• fh4ever
    replied
    Thanks ...just wanted to make sure. Everything I ever worked on had it the opposite way.... but then again, the anchor pin was on top.

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Originally posted by fh4ever View Post
    ok all, just checking to make sure....on the rear brakes ,....39 commander...the shorter shoe goes to the rear because the anchor pin is on the bottom? The stepped diameter wheel cylinder has no impact on shoe placement...correct?
    Front brakes had equal length lining...so no issue here, but rear brakes has different length.
    Follow Gary's picture in #10.
    I'd say the smaller cylinder piston on the rear is the reason for the shorter shoe to be on the rear, in addition to the anchor pin being at the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• fh4ever
    replied
    ok all, just checking to make sure....on the rear brakes ,....39 commander...the shorter shoe goes to the rear because the anchor pin is on the bottom? The stepped diameter wheel cylinder has no impact on shoe placement...correct?
    Front brakes had equal length lining...so no issue here, but rear brakes has different length.

Leave a comment:

• fh4ever
    replied
    TWchamp....I think the picture in 10 has the spring cup washers, but they are behind the shoe and you cant see them. The smaller diameter washer on the outside would be the 1/16" thick flat washer. The fact that the 47-50 has this spring cup washer (same part number too) and it is used behind the shoe tells me mine should be behind the shoe as well.
    The 1/16" thick flatwasher took up the space quite well and the spring legs still flex when pushed down. I feel I have it correct now.

Leave a comment:

• Hawkowner
    replied
    Note the difference in the amount of lining on the shoes which will have an effect on the stopping power. The illustration shows both lower ends of the shoe anchored . The more modern duo survo brake systems allow the bottom ends of the shoes to float which causes the front shoe to rotate and put more force on the back shoe using the energy of the turning wheel to apply the brake.
    Hawkowner

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
    I'd be using Gary's picture in #10.
    The self adjusting brakes in #19 are quite different.
    I thought I was pretty clear in the text in #19 that the '47 thru '50 versions had some differences from '39, but with a comparison of part numbers and some assumptions the OP could figure out where the spring washer p/n 186273 would go on his '39. This was his primary concern. Guess I wasn't so clear, huh?

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    I'd be using Gary's picture in #10.
    The self adjusting brakes in #19 are quite different.

Leave a comment:

• fh4ever
    replied
    R1Lark...I think you got me the information I was looking for. Your catalog calls 186273 a spring washer for the eccentric and it does appear to go under the shoe against the cam. This is the same part number for the '39. So now I am convinced it does go under the shoes. Thanks for the offer, but all 8 spring washers are already on the car, just half of them was on the outside of the shoes!!
    For the outer washers, your book does use a different part number but I feel strongly it may just be matter of thickness. My books says 1/16" thick I should be able to come up with these.
    The c-clip is the same part number and I already have these on order because some of them cracked while getting them off.
    Looks like now I have the information needed so the brakes can go back together.
    I want to thank you R1lark and everyone else for your help too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X