No announcement yet.

39 commander brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessity is the mother of invention. I have created my own design, but still looking forward to the right way :-)
    Pastor Matt Crump
    pastormattcrump@gmail.comsigpic

Comment

hi pastor matt, I replaced mine ('39), bending and going the same route as the original. bends are very very close to original and I have no reason to believe the lines were ever replaced before me.
      master cylinder: one line goes to rear and the other thru the frame to the front. Not sure how they kept the metal line off of the frame, but I put a piece of rubber hose over the line to keep the line from rubbing thru.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_064123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1716679 Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_064019.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1716680
      then to the front and here is where it splits

Name:	20171005_063922.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1716681Click image for larger version

Name:	20171005_063928.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1716682
      then across the crossmember..here I removed the line and made the new one more than a decade ago, and I remember it is hard to remove and install without bending...(All the other lines I did last year). so it is not perfect but it follows the original routing. It is supposed to lay close to the crossmember..its the silverish line, the other line is the fuel line...even harder to run with car assembled.

Name:	20171005_063823.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1716683
      then to the right side :tweaked just a bit from getting it fished thru but same path as original.

Name:	20171005_063841.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1716684That red clip is not the original, its a Ford part, the stude clip broke. That line was difficult to get in and is supposed to lay flatter on the crossmember.. hope this is the same as a '38.
      If you need the rear, let me know.

Comment

That was so helpful! Thank you so much!!! I also hope this post helps others in years to come! Thank you again sir!
        Pastor Matt Crump
        pastormattcrump@gmail.comsigpic

Comment

One thing I want to point out here - is that since the brake line comes from the master to the wheel on the left first, it is much more difficult to prevent twisting of the flexible hose from there to the left wheel. I connected the flex hose to the brass splitter block first, than ran it through the backing plate and tightened it to the cylinder before attaching the cylinder to the backing plate. Then there is the opportunity to tighten one or the other some more so the cylinder fits without too much twist of the hose. The right side is simpler because the brake line attaches directly to the flex hose, and you can get the twist out very easily.
          39 Commander Sedan
          2nd and 4th Owner
          58k original miles, numbers matching

Comment

Working...
          X