Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Oil pump priming on '35 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil pump priming on '35 Commander

I have installed new rings and valves in the straight eight engine in my '35 Commander. I put the oil pan back on and filled with oil before I set the valve clearances so when I crank the engine over with the starter to set the valves the oil pump will be turning. I'm hoping I can prime the system this way before I try to actually start.

Does anyone one know how long I might have to crank the engine before I might see pressure at the gauge? I used plenty of assembly lube on rod bearings, lifters, etc, so I doubt I'll do any harm by cranking it cold.

I'll post this question on the ASC forum also.

Thanks. Tom

Remove one of the 1/8 " Pipe Plugs from an Oil passage, and prime the system with an Oil Can. There should be one on the Oil Pump Cover to fill the Pump.

Cranking the Engine in 10 to 15 Second intervals three or four times until you have 20 to 40 P.S.I. on the Gauge, should do it.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have always smeared a little grease between the gears on oil pumps,any make, once found a loose cover on a Mellings SBC pump so i feel justified in doing this. also found a Fred Jones rebuilt engine,ford FE. with no oil press upon installation. helped pull pan on Complete Long Block, pump cover hanging by one screw! Check the other guy's work!!! Doofus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1711438Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1711439I gave up on the oil pump priming the system by itself while cranking. I made the tool shown in the attached photos several years ago based on a post by Gary Ash in August of 2010. I should have just used this in the first place. It is a section of steel pipe with an end cap that has been modified to accept a tire valve stem and fittings on the other end to connect to one of the oil gallery ports. It works by taking the cap that has the tire valve stem off, mostly filling the pipe with oil, screwing the cap back on, pressurizing with air through the tire valve and using the ball valve to release the oil into the gallery and back to the pump. I'm not sure how many ounces of oil the tool holds, but after two reloads I was getting oil pumped out of the oil gauge port when I cranked the engine with the starter. That tells me that the pump is now primed and I should be good to go to start after I finish the rest of the reassembly.

Thanks Gary!

Tom

Comment

yep, got the same style device somewhere in my shop.

Comment

Working...
          X