No announcement yet.

rag joint replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that you will have to move the steering column back slightly to get enough clearance to remove the coupling. Under the instrument panel there is a bracket holding the steering column in place. Loosen the nuts holding it and you should be able to move the steering column back. BUT - before you do this, carefully mark the position of the steering column shaft relative to the steering gearbox shaft. If you don't do this your steering wheel won't be centered when you put everything back together.

Comment

Thanks, I thought I had to loosen the column but some replies I got said I didn't have to. I don't know how they did it without unbolting the column. There is no room. They must of had a different setup. I have never seen a coupler that you were able to remove those pins. I think they may be pressed on. I appreciate your reply. Thanks Again Dean

Comment

I contacted Jon Meyer about a rag joint for my 63. He rebuilds them for $125 exchange.
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thanks but I was concerned with removing it. As I described in my posts

Comment

I just checked and my local NAPA is showing that they still carry the replacement rag-joint kit. This is what I used several years ago:

NAPA part# NOE 6301440, $11.29

Hopefully you'll be able to find one near you.

Comment

Working...
            X