Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

modern bulb part number - 47 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: modern bulb part number - 47 Champ

Does anyone know a part number for the parking light bulbs on a 47 Champion? They are very small. The SI catalog lists some bulbs I'm not sure about them. Has anyone ordered them?

The 6V bulb number should be in your Owner's Manual. I suspect it should be Mazda No. 63, or, if it should include integrated turn signals, Mazda No. 1158.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Are any of these bulbs made for 6 volt positive ground?
      My 1939 motorbike has a 6 volt positive ground generator, and LED would light up so much better on it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip rockn10. Looks like it's a Mazda no. 55. Where do I find a cross reference for a part number like at NAPA or AutoZone?

Comment

Just ask for a #55 bulb.

Comment

My Guide lamp book only goes back to 1949. It shows the parking lamp bulb as #55 for the Champion, #63 for Commanders. The 1947's are probably the same. The #55 is indeed very small.
            American iron, real old school
            With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
            With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
            With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
            The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
            I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              Are any of these bulbs made for 6 volt positive ground?
              My 1939 motorbike has a 6 volt positive ground generator, and LED would light up so much better on it.
              Hi TWChamp
              Good old fashioned incandescent bulbs don't have any polarity, so as long as they have 6 volts on one side and ground on the other they will work.
              The modern LED lamps are a different story. They require a specific polarity i.e. a bulb that works with positive ground will not light up on a system that uses negative ground.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnyb View Post
                Hi TWChamp
                Good old fashioned incandescent bulbs don't have any polarity, so as long as they have 6 volts on one side and ground on the other they will work.
                The modern LED lamps are a different story. They require a specific polarity i.e. a bulb that works with positive ground will not light up on a system that uses negative ground.
                Right, and that's why I was looking for these bulbs in LED 6 volts positive ground. Over the past week I've order several LED bulbs including some for positive ground systems. Some of them should work for the headlight and taillight of my 1939 motorbike, but I'm still looking for ones to fit 6 volt Studebakers.

Comment

55 is a very common bulb number. Commonly used in radios and 6 volt auto instrument panels.
                  Frank DuVal

50 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by Frank DuVal View Post
                    55 is a very common bulb number. Commonly used in radios and 6 volt auto instrument panels.
                    Unfortunately old parts men aren't common anymore. We've had many people come on the Forum saying modern parts houses couldn't find or get a standard headlamp for Studebakers! If it ain't in their computer they don't know what to do.
                    KURTRUK
                    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                      Unfortunately old parts men aren't common anymore. We've had many people come on the Forum saying modern parts houses couldn't find or get a standard headlamp for Studebakers! If it ain't in their computer they don't know what to do.
                      Crazy, especially when you consider that, until 1976 when the rectangular ones came in making it 7, there were only 4 headlight bulbs to choose from. All you need to know is how many headlights are on the front and if it's 6 or 12 volt. And they call themselves parts guys.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ford part number: 78-13466 / Industry part number: 55 .. 6V single contact 2 candlepower bulb / Obsolete

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has 31 = 800-476-9653.

Comment

I never would have guessed a number 55 bulb would be obsolete because lots of old radios also used them. I've always said that bulbs should be saved from junk cars before they go to the crusher. You just never know how quickly something can go obsolete, and become hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by WinM1895 View Post
                            Ford part number: 78-13466 / Industry part number: 55 .. 6V single contact 2 candlepower bulb / Obsolete

CARPENTER NOS OBSOLETE PARTS in Concord NC has 31 = 800-476-9653.
                            This Ford part number is obsolete, but I don't know if the bulb can still be bought at auto parts stores under its industry number.

Carpenter, besides selling obsolete parts, is the largest reproducer of Ford parts.

Comment

They are available at Advance Auto Parts. A 2 pack is about $5.00. I found them hanging in the rack in the aisle with the other bulbs. They also have other 6 volt bulbs, but you may need to know the bulb numbers as they do not cross reference to my M5 in the computer or online.

Common 6 volt bulb numbers are: Headlamp 4030, Parking 55, Stop 1158, Instrument 55. Check your owners manual or shop manual for your application.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sylvania Long Life 55 LL Mini Bulb, 2 Pack 55LLBP2_ Advance Auto Parts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1711673

Bruce
                              Last edited by bhawk; 12-24-2016, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X